Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is macbook compatible for ubuntu 8.04?

Beans

Is macbook compatible for ubuntu 8.04?

I wanna bought a mac book for ubuntu8.04 only, but it's said that touch pad may not work correctly, and also the hot key, who can give me a hand please
    Thanks a lot!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Is macbook compatible for ubuntu 8.04?

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 RC on my macbook (second gen) and everything but the camera is working. The touchpad works fine, the hotkeys work fine.

I don't know how well it'll work on the third gen though. I hear those are yet a bit problematic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dazedoracle View Post
    I wanna bought a mac book for ubuntu8.04 only, but it's said that touch pad may not work correctly, and also the hot key, who can give me a hand please
    Thanks a lot!!
    It should work fine with the Macbook4,1. (The touchpad issues are in the Macbook Pro). There have been some issues with Apple keyboards recently.
    There is a collection of bug reports effecting mactels here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/mactel-support/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelut View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 RC on my macbook (second gen) and everything but the camera is working. The touchpad works fine, the hotkeys work fine.

I don't know how well it'll work on the third gen though. I hear those are yet a bit problematic.
    I am upgrading since Hardy Alpha1 and never reinstalled. Isight doesn't load too but a little problem of shutdown disturb me since Alpha5 when acpi was upgraded. There is no menu to suspend hibernate or shutdown from gnome-session only in GDM login screen is possible to have access to these options.

Have you noticed this problem installing from RC ?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mabovo View Post
    I am upgrading since Hardy Alpha1 and never reinstalled. Isight doesn't load too but a little problem of shutdown disturb me since Alpha5 when acpi was upgraded. There is no menu to suspend hibernate or shutdown from gnome-session only in GDM login screen is possible to have access to these options.

Have you noticed this problem installing from RC ?

Thanks.
    you need to reinstall from the latest cd... you probably have many issues that are related to "fixing" things in earlier releases. iSight works fine, and there are the correct options in the menu to shutdown, suspend, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Installed last night. Worked out of the box pretty much after update. Haven't tried camera etc yet and sound volume is low (but appears to be a common problem?). Overall, as this is my first proper excursion into linux and since I'm moving completely over to linux, I am impressed and enjoying i.e. seems to work pretty good with a macbook!

NB: I'm using macbook 1st generation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Nioclas View Post
    Installed last night. Worked out of the box pretty much after update. Haven't tried camera etc yet and sound volume is low (but appears to be a common problem?). Overall, as this is my first proper excursion into linux and since I'm moving completely over to linux, I am impressed and enjoying i.e. seems to work pretty good with a macbook!

Hi Nioclas,

good to see another first generation macbook user. Two questions:

1) What kind of battery life do you get?

2) Is suspend temperamental?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Nioclas View Post
    sound volume is low (but appears to be a common problem?).
    I've got this same problem on a second gen Macbook. It's pretty annoying. What's worse is the headphone jack doesn't seem to work under Ubuntu either so I can't just plug in speakers and turn them up

Beans

I cannot get my sound working PERIOD, does anyone know why? C2D macbook, got it about a month before the current ones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    I've got this same problem on a second gen Macbook. It's pretty annoying. What's worse is the headphone jack doesn't seem to work under Ubuntu either so I can't just plug in speakers and turn them up
    I had this problem too. I searched launchpad and found a work-around in the comments of this particular bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/201957

It goes like this-

open volume control
    open edit menu and click preferences
    check the surround sound box, close preferences
    unmute surround sound in volume control
    Last edited by kye_; April 24th, 2008 at 01:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast