Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Proliant Racked Server System

Beans

New Proliant Racked Server System

Hi, I'm waiting for my new SOHO server system to arrive. Proliant DL360 G1 and a Storageworks 4100 FC RAID Array. Hardware wise I know how to set it all up, my FC basics etc. Software wise it's more of a leap for me, since this is my first real server setup. As it stands, I know that the drivers for both my Compaq RAID arrays (Proliant internal and the Storageworks) are available, as well as that for my Fibre Channel card.

I'm aware of the basics of setting up and installing the OS, and basic guides should help me get my RAID accessible. However there's three things I don't know about yet.

1: APC 1400 UPS. Since I'm setting up a Dual RAID-5 server array, I'm not going to want to lose data suddenly. So my Servers (And possibly Leopard workstation) are going to be hooked into this. I need to know how to interface that with the Ubuntu Server OS.

2: XFCE. I have a great love of Graphical configuration, so I plan on using XFCE as a DE on my server. However, I don't want to be tied to the on board Graphics to USE it - how do I set up a VNC server as a virtual "Display" so that I can use VNC as the primary interface to the computer?

3: Which way round do I install the OS?
    Ubuntu-Server then Xubuntu-Desktop?
    Xubuntu-Desktop then Ubuntu-Server?

Thanks, iGraham.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope
    questions 1 & 2 I can't help you with, much of this information you may already know, so forgive me if you do.

you will need the smart start 5.5 cd available from hp to set up your smart array.
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...557&taskId=135

what version of ubuntu-server do you plan on installing? 6.06.2-lts, 7.04, 7.10, hardy/8.04?

an iso of 7.04 set-up for the smart array is available here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=30

the problem installing ubuntu is in the order that it loads the sym53c8xx driver. there are work-a-rounds for it, such as when you start to install ubuntu press F6 and add to the kernel line sym53c8xx.blacklist=yes sym53c8xx_2.blacklist=yes or sym53c8xx=true it all depends on the version being installed. you can search on this site or in launchpad to find more about it.

have you considered installing webmin to administer your server?
    http://www.webmin.com/

QUESTION 3. you would install xbuntu-desktop after you install the base server.
    but why would you need to, when you can administer/ssh into it remotely and not have the overhead of a gui.

centos 5 is also an option, although is a rpm based distro.
    http://www.centos.org/ you can install it as a gui server.

Question's? I'm here to help all I can.
    Last edited by rustybronco; April 22nd, 2008 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

Re: New Proliant Racked Server System

Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    questions 1 & 2 I can't help you with, much of this information you may already know, so forgive me if you do.

you will need the smart start 5.5 cd available from hp to set up your smart array.
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...557&taskId=135

what version of ubuntu-server do you plan on installing? 6.06.2-lts, 7.04, 7.10, hardy/8.04?

the problem installing ubuntu is in the order that it loads the sym53c8xx driver. there are work-a-rounds for it, such as when you start to install ubuntu press F6 and add to the kernel line sym53c8xx.blacklist=yes sym53c8xx_2.blacklist=yes or sym53c8xx=true it all depends on the version being installed. you can search on this site or in launchpad to find more about it.

QUESTION 3. you would install xbuntu-desktop after you install the base server.
    but why would you need to, when you can administer/ssh into it remotely and not have the overhead of a gui..
    Hi! Ok, the two servers (PL and SW) should be being shipped today or tomorrow, so this will be my weekend project.

Thanks for the heads up on the Smart-Start CD, didn't know that one. I'm installing 8.04LTS because of it's improved SAN support and better security.

I want a GUI because I like shinies. That's the most part of it. ssh is great, but I really detest most command line text editors, so it would be easier (Read: More comfortable) for me to VNC into the machine and use graphical utilities as much as possible.

I'll check up on the specs for the DL360G1 so that I can handle the kernel options, thanks for letting me know about them.

Another option for me would be to just install a few GUI packages and only start X11 when I need it.

I've also given Sol10 a consideration considering it's apparently a "Supported" OS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret-Simpson View Post
    I want a GUI because I like shinies. That's the most part of it. ssh is great, but I really detest most command line text editors, so it would be easier (Read: More comfortable) for me to VNC into the machine and use graphical utilities as much as possible.
    You can also download the tar.gz of webmin and administer the server "remotely" without a need for a gui on the server

I'll check up on the specs for the DL360G1 so that I can handle the kernel options, thanks for letting me know about them.
    one more thing, If you run into not being able to install the base system and it stopping at 2%, you may be having a problem with the cd-rom and dma. you may have to update the firmware, use a different cd-rom or do a net install on your server. want to guess what is giving me a fit on my DL380 g1 installing a debian based os?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+s...22/+bug/148466
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...15&postcount=7
    Last edited by rustybronco; April 30th, 2008 at 01:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Any SmarStart CD will work, They're all backwards compatable.

As for CD-Rom, the 360 suffers from the same as the DL580's, they use Laptop roms to save space, however as old as they are, the support is lacking.

I've had problems with the newer 580's (g3-4, 5's seem to work fine) booting to most CD's. A quick fix is to just use an Externl CD-Rom. The only down side, older DL's (At least my 580 G1's) don't support USB, so it's a bit more tricky.

Beans
    Distro

https://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service...readId=1013991
    There were issues with the TEAC model CD-ROM drive on Proliant DL380G1 and other systems. This was resolved with Softpaq SP16293.EXE. The drive was identified as Compaq CD-224E (Spare Part number 323332-001)

See the README.TXT file that comes with the Softpaq to identify the drive without removal. This also has the firmware update procedure if this is the type of drive you have. The hardware removal procedure for the CD-ROM drive (if required) is attached to this reply.

I hope this helps.
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&cc=us&y=0&x=0

I've also given Sol10 a consideration considering it's apparently a "Supported" OS.
    so is centos5/rhel
    Last edited by rustybronco; May 1st, 2008 at 05:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On point one I'm fairly sure APC have good linux support, take a look at their pages for more details on the software.

On point 2 as I understand VNC it's a 'photo' of a desktop that has to be rendered somewhere on the host machine, however I do recall stuff from the post after mine in this thread which had advice on switching a gui on and off, so you could have a script to start it and the vnc server on an as-and-when basis.

Beans

However I've never used any RH based OS. I HAVE used Solaris. A lot. I'm comfortable with it. And while most UNIX is a muchness, quirks can be irritating.

There was already an array set up with mirrored RAID, so no need to touch SmartStart. 8.04 server disc went in, partitioned and installed with no problems. Boots fine.

To be honest, the biggest reason I want the GUI is for network configuration. I've never done wifi in CLI before. Besides, I can always :: sudo apt-get remove xubuntu-desktop ; sudo apt-get autoremove :: if the machine's running too slowly, but I'm not expecting to be using it for anything heavy, just a SAN:NAS and possible later webserver/mailserver. (I'm not worried about heavy traffic, I figure by the time this thing can't handle it - my ad's will pay for a replacement Xserve. )

Basically, apart from wifi/vnc configuration (And the hintherto unknown-to-me onboard graphics can deal with rendering) - the server is up running and ready.

Now I need to make it connect to the Storageworks RAID Array.

Beans
    Distro

However I've never used any RH based OS.
    With a gui install its almost idiot proof.
    8.04 server disc went in, partitioned and installed with no problems. Boots fine.
    I wish I had your luck!

To be honest, the biggest reason I want the GUI is for network configuration. I've never done wifi in CLI before.
    see the link in my signature. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188
    Last edited by rustybronco; May 1st, 2008 at 08:58 PM.

Beans

It is unlikely that I am as skilled as Ferret. I have never set up servers before or used Ubuntu. Hope to set up using the 64bit server in a few days. There are similarties with the setup.

The equipment is a DL380 G4 (Dual Xeon 3.6 and 6GB RAM) It is stacked full of U320 300GB drives. A compaq R3000XR UPS will be used.

I have the HP Proliant smart start Essentials Disks and can download the updates (currently to 8.1) but have no idea which version of Linux or Debian or whatever should be referred to during the process as I understand there is no reference to Ubuntu.

Have read a lot of good advice on the forum and will have things ready but it would be terrific if someone was able to give an in-depth guidance similar to the one given for the Opteron processor on, I think, the G3. Very well composed. But I would be grateful for any advice.

The little found relating to a similar server makes me wonder whether I should just load MS Server and forget Ubuntu as none have indicated successful loading. Any comment, any success stories?

Thanks
    Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast