Thread: background noise

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

background noise

I hear a background noise in my earphones all the time... It is louder when I use Amarok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: background noise

It is a common issue. Somehow I think it is related to drivers. Ubuntu relinquish control over the sound device if there is no sound and when that happens it picks up interference from hard drives or something else. Windows drivers do not release the device and hence it is always active and there is no such idle whining noise. I start thinking about looping an empty sound file to keep the audio device loaded and avoid that loop noise.

If you hear the noise all the time - then that's a different story. It might be related to some fault in your equipment.
    Last edited by Stason; April 22nd, 2008 at 09:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Yup, I hear it all the time, even when I'm playing a song there's background noise... Will it go away if I change headphones?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I don't think that will help, I have this problem sometimes on Windows as well.
    For me the problem comes when I set the OS sound control on 100%. This sound control is communicating directly with the driver...
    When controlling the sound volume in the media player it doesn't remove that noise, but when I lower the "OS" sound, the noise goes away...
    Hope this helps