Thread: Can't see Windows shares

Beans

Can't see Windows shares

I used to be able to browse via Dolphin to my windows computers by clicking on Network, selecting Samba shares and then clicking workgroup. Now Dolphin says Loading directory for a long time then it says timeout on server workgroup.

I've been keeping up with all the patches. Any suggestions where I should look? This is an ASUS M2A-VM board with an AMD 64x2 processor and 4GB Ram. I am running the 64 bit version of Kubuntu 7.10.

thanks

Selwyn

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can't see Windows shares

I'm also having this problem.

I have configured Kubuntu 8.04 RC on vmWare. Set up Samba with a share. When I look in Network Neighbourhood on Windows XP, I can see the Kubuntu directory.

However, trying to look at WIndows inside Kubuntu just sits there and eventually times out. I do see the Windows network in the SAMBA share.

Do I need to install the ntfs module in Kubuntu?
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sunspots View Post
    I'm also having this problem.

I have configured Kubuntu 8.04 RC on vmWare. Set up Samba with a share. When I look in Network Neighbourhood on Windows XP, I can see the Kubuntu directory.

However, trying to look at WIndows inside Kubuntu just sits there and eventually times out. I do see the Windows network in the SAMBA share.

Do I need to install the ntfs module in Kubuntu?
    Thanks
    I don't think you need to install an ntfs module - I didn't before when it was working on my system.

I think it might be a configuration thing - but no-one seems to know about it. I have installed ubuntu 8.04 in my vmware setup and it sees my windows shares just fine. It hiccupped a few times though when I changed the vmware network setup but always came back after a reboot. My kubuntu 7.04 machine however remains steadfastly uninterested in seeing the windows network devices. I tried live booting on a kubuntu 8.04 CD and it had no problem so I know my hardware is ok.

I've been digging around a bunch on the web and found a nice article about mounting windows shares at http://justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystems...rmanently.html but that didn't get me down the road of what the permissions and issues are.

Good luck.
    Selwyn

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for the links. I started reading and trying the samba mount command, but it gave me an error. Hunting around for the error I found this link

http://www.thatsquality.com/linux/mo...res-using-cifs

It talks about using CIFS instead of smbfs. It also mentioned that you had to create a folder somewhere (I created in /mnt) and then do the mount with CIFS. Well that worked fine. Possible the smbfs would have also now the folder for the share is created.

I can now see any files & folders on that drive now it is mounted. However, now I have a problem writing to the drive.

Even though my permissions on the folders are drwxrwxrwx and ownerships are root root. I did notice that mnt has permissions of drwxr-xr-x. So, I tried sudo to create a file on the share, but still got error can't write to the folder.

Back to thinking I might have to install ntfs support.

Have you been able to write to your share?

Thanks again for the pointers.

Beans

Don't know if anyone is still monitoring this, but this command got me out of the problem:

sudo mount -t cifs //IP_of_the_server/path_of_server_if_there_is_one /mnt/name_of_mount_point -o username=xxx,password=xxx,uid=MY-USERNAME-ON-UBUNTU,gid=users

So an example might be

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.6/data /mnt/server -o username=MYSERVERNAME,password=MYSERVERPASSWORD,ui d=MY-USERNAME-ON-UBUNTU,gid=users

Hope this helps

Beans

In my case I believe the problem is a DNS problem. It turns out that I can connect to machines using their IP address but for some reason my Kubuntu can't resolve the MS Windows computer names any more. I believe MS Windows uses netbios (netbeui now?) for it's names. At one point I could just browse my workgroup, now it just times out. Its a puzzler...

Selwyn