Thread: Macbook Pro not shutting down, anybody else?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Macbook Pro not shutting down, anybody else?

Just wanted to get some confirmation about Kubuntu Hardy RC

I had started a thread earlier about my MBP Pre-santa rosa not shutting down. I figured out if I disable the ATI driver, it shuts down fine. Wanted to see if anybody else had this issue before I filed.

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro

Re: Macbook Pro not shutting down, anybody else?

So, I've just done a reinstall today, and with 3d accel on, my laptop won't shut down on it's own. I'm I really the only one?
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by russo.mic View Post
    So, I've just done a reinstall today, and with 3d accel on, my laptop won't shut down on it's own. I'm I really the only one?
    So far you are the only one that has been complaining about this (unfortunate, sort of). Did you do a completely fresh install? what graphics are you using?

Beans
    Distro

I was having the problem with the RC, so I did a clean install last night, and i've got the ATI restricted driver working. the funny thing is, my hibernate and suspend work great for the first time ever out of the box! but for some reason I can't shut down. I've been opening up tty1 and just doing a sudo shutdown now.

For the most part, that ususally shuts down no problem. every now and then, it hangs. Do you know how I could do a verbose shutdown out of X as to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks!

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by russo.mic View Post
    I was having the problem with the RC, so I did a clean install last night, and i've got the ATI restricted driver working. the funny thing is, my hibernate and suspend work great for the first time ever out of the box! but for some reason I can't shut down. I've been opening up tty1 and just doing a sudo shutdown now.

For the most part, that ususally shuts down no problem. every now and then, it hangs. Do you know how I could do a verbose shutdown out of X as to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks!

Russo
    so, when you said 3d accel, did you mean the drivers or compiz?

when you startup and see the grub menu, hit 'e' and you can edit the config lines. remove the 'silent' and 'quiet' options from the kernel line and you will see all the console messages during startup and shutdown. That may give you an indication of where it is hanging.

Beans
    Distro

I didn't know that would verbose shutdown as well! Good to learn something new. I'll do some troubleshooting, and post shortly

Thanks CD!

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro

So, I don't even get to the system shutdown report, as KDM doesn't always shutdown.

Damn.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04