Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "AMR" Codecs

Beans

Re: "AMR" Codecs

Found a very easy and quick solution for the .3gp/AMR codec issue.

Install smplayer from the medibuntu repos.

Its a front-end for mplayer that will play amr files.

I have ubuntu-restricted-extras installed, if you don't have this, then you may also want to install libamrwb3 libamrnb3.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Worked for me, Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crajy B View Post

I have ubuntu-restricted-extras installed, if you don't have this, then you may also want to install libamrwb3 libamrnb3.

Cheers!

Beans

Hi Crajy,

Quote Originally Posted by Crajy B View Post

Well, strictly speaking SMPlayer is not held in the Medibuntu repository but the copy of MPlayer from Medibuntu plays amr files . This will be something of an issue in the upcoming Karmic Koala where Medibuntu will no longer have a copy of MPlayer and the repository MPlayer will not play amr files...

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As Andrew has stated, I've come across this problem.

Hardy - Jaunty I was able to play my 3gp files and amr files. But now with Karmic I've come across a problem and can play the video of 3gp files but with no sound. And amr files just wont play at all.

I've tried everything suggested in this thread, but to no avail. Does anyone have any information as to how to play amr or 3gp files in Karmic?

Beans

Hi Snak3,

Quote Originally Posted by 5nak3 View Post
    Does anyone have any information as to how to play amr or 3gp files in Karmic?
    I have written a guide for compiling the svn MPlayer under Karmic Koala that is awaiting moderation before going into the Tutorials & Tips section. This enables amr sound. Just a matter of waiting until it is approved....

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for that. It isn't very important at the moment, but I just like being sure that if I want to watch one of my mobile videos I can without any problems.

May I ask why you chose SMplayer as opposed to Mplayer though? As far as I understand SMplayer is a simple front end for the latter, but as a package it is 3 or so times larger than Mplayer alone.

Beans

Hi Snak3,

May I ask why you chose SMplayer as opposed to Mplayer though? As far as I understand SMplayer is a simple front end for the latter, but as a package it is 3 or so times larger than Mplayer alone.
    The graphical element of MPlayer, called GMPlayer, has been effectively abandoned by the MPlayer developers and it generates many, many error messages. There has been endless debate on the MPlayer mailing lists about abandoning it completely and also a notice on the MPlayer website:

You might also want to check out the other frontends since there is no further development and limited bug fixing for the included graphical user interface.
    I tend to use the commandline only myself but I realise that many will want a gui so a short investigation convinced me that SMPlayer was the best available. A further helpful thing with SMPlayer is that the developer is active on these forums and will answer any problems .

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the clarification, I'll be sure to keep a look out for the tutorial.

Cheers

Beans

Hi 5nak3,

I'll be sure to keep a look out for the tutorial.
    The guide has surfaced:

Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181

I have attached a screenshot to the guide demonstrating amr playback from the commandline.

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!

found something that actually works for amr files...
    I'm not interested in playing them, I wanna convert them to mp3 and then I play the mp3s.

http://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverter.htm

Note that I run ubunut 9.10 64bit, so there should be no problem with forcing the architecture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast