Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 591

Thread: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Beans
    124
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    Dude I appreciate you having a repository for AWN for us, but can you make give the agnostic tagged version of AWN a better description. I got confused thinking they were a new version, got rid of my old one, and installed them just to find out they are worthless. If not, can you bold the info about the agnostic packages on the main page. I didn't see it since it just mixed in with the normal text. If it stood out more, it would have saved me from having to go through 3+ pages on posts to find out what the hell was going on.

    Also, the regular Trash applet is not working properly. It doesn't recognize that there are files in the trash. Affinity is not working also. I didn't see anyone post about it yet, so I might be the only one with this problem.

    Anyway, keep up the good work. I hope you can straighten the repo out so its easier to figure out what is going on.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    A galaxy far, far away...
    Beans
    2,800

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    Quote Originally Posted by ayoli View Post
    @reacocard : Browsing some threads, and fall here (again).
    Then my brain have been eaten (btw there wasn't much to eat there tonight !), after what I figured that you also got a deprecated link to your old repo in your sig.

    Nothing better to say, maybe too lame or drunk

    Again big up for all your work and support
    oops, forgot to update the sig. fixed now. thanks for noticing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by GumbyX View Post
    Dude I appreciate you having a repository for AWN for us, but can you make give the agnostic tagged version of AWN a better description. I got confused thinking they were a new version, got rid of my old one, and installed them just to find out they are worthless. If not, can you bold the info about the agnostic packages on the main page. I didn't see it since it just mixed in with the normal text. If it stood out more, it would have saved me from having to go through 3+ pages on posts to find out what the hell was going on.

    Also, the regular Trash applet is not working properly. It doesn't recognize that there are files in the trash. Affinity is not working also. I didn't see anyone post about it yet, so I might be the only one with this problem.

    Anyway, keep up the good work. I hope you can straighten the repo out so its easier to figure out what is going on.
    the -agnostic packages are still VERY experimental, they'll get fixed when I have time (read: not this week). The trash applet doesn't work because hardy uses gvfs which the trash applet in the standard packages doesn't support yet. The agnostic packages do support it, but as I've said they're very experimental.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

  3. #93
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    116
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    I installed from the repo with a fresh install of 8.04. On both my laptop 32bit and my desktop 64 bit. I am having the same problem on both.

    For some odd reason, the docks icons dissappear at random times and the dock itself is unusable (you can not right click on it to tell it to quit or go to preferences) the process is still running and the dock is viewable but unclickable.

    Like I said all the icons are gone. The only way I have found to fix this is kill the old process and restart awn.

    Is there any other way?

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Groningen, The Netherland
    Beans
    194
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    I never really went for bling in my desktop, but I made the jump yesterday and installed AWM from the Tester repro's.

    I'm loving it every second, I'm still fiddling with the look and feel, but up untill now, the only thing that annoys me is the workspace switcher applet (but after some playing around, it works great for me)

    So I want to give credit to the developers, I've found that together with Gnome-DO, it isn't just great to look at, but greatly increases my feeling of control over my system.

    If I can quickly make a feature request...

    It would be great if the superb Media Control Applet could also be used to handle (in my case Rhythmbox's) place on the dock. Now you have to Icons when using your media player, but it would be great if the Applet could be used instead.

    CUDOS!
    "All of your base are belong to us!"

  5. #95
    MountainX's Avatar
    MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    A place with no mountains
    Beans
    1,610
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    Quote Originally Posted by reacocard View Post
    I've renamed several packages, so it's possible there may be rough edges when upgrading, however after a successful upgrade everything should be fine. At worst, removing and reinstalling all packages should fix any dependency problems.
    Hi reacocard - can you give us a better idea of exactly how to upgrade?

    Here is what Synaptic is telling me now:
    Not Authenticated:
    libawn-bzr
    To Be Removed:
    python-libawn-bzr
    awn-manager-bzr
    avant-window-navigator-bzr

    Should I let Synaptic remove those packages? Can you suggest some exact steps for proceeding? Thanks.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

  6. #96
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    4,510
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    That's fine. I've had that a couple of times, and AWN is still working after, so I guess it was just doing some cleaning.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alpine, Texas
    Beans
    502
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    I had to reinstall after the repo rearrangment and now the tsclient applet isn't working again. Andrew et, al. fixed the bug last week and pushed the fixed applet to the repository. Are the applets installable from a different deb now?

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    A galaxy far, far away...
    Beans
    2,800

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    Quote Originally Posted by vgrisham View Post
    I had to reinstall after the repo rearrangment and now the tsclient applet isn't working again. Andrew et, al. fixed the bug last week and pushed the fixed applet to the repository. Are the applets installable from a different deb now?
    applets are still in awn-core-applets-bzr. I'm pushing up a newer version of that package later tonight, so perhaps that will fix your issue.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    1

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    I just installed 8.04 and can't get awn to work. I followed the instructions to remove and reinstall...no joy

    Excerpt:

    @ubuntu-laptop:~$ awn-manager
    /usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py:196: DeprecationWarning: raising a string exception is deprecated
    raise "\nKey: [%s]%s isn't set.\nRestarting AWN usually solves this issue\n" % (group, key)
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/awn-manager", line 203, in <module>
    awnmanager = AwnManager()
    File "/usr/bin/awn-manager", line 130, in __init__
    self.prefManager = awnPreferences(self.wTree)
    File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py", line 98, in __init__
    self.setup_chooser(defs.APP, defs.ACTIVE_PNG, self.wTree.get_widget("activefilechooser"))
    File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py", line 196, in setup_chooser
    raise "\nKey: [%s]%s isn't set.\nRestarting AWN usually solves this issue\n" % (group, key)

    Key: [app]active_png isn't set.
    Restarting AWN usually solves this issue

    Error in sys.excepthook:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 78, in apport_excepthook
    report_file = open(pr_filename, 'wt')
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/crash/_usr_bin_awn-manager.1000.crash'

    Original exception was:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/awn-manager", line 203, in <module>
    awnmanager = AwnManager()
    File "/usr/bin/awn-manager", line 130, in __init__
    self.prefManager = awnPreferences(self.wTree)
    File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py", line 98, in __init__
    self.setup_chooser(defs.APP, defs.ACTIVE_PNG, self.wTree.get_widget("activefilechooser"))
    File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py", line 196, in setup_chooser
    raise "\nKey: [%s]%s isn't set.\nRestarting AWN usually solves this issue\n" % (group, key)

    Key: [app]active_png isn't set.
    Restarting AWN usually solves this issue


    Thanks

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    A galaxy far, far away...
    Beans
    2,800

    Re: HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson View Post
    I just installed 8.04 and can't get awn to work. I followed the instructions to remove and reinstall...no joy

    Excerpt:

    @ubuntu-laptop:~$ awn-manager
    /usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py:196: DeprecationWarning: raising a string exception is deprecated
    raise "\nKey: [%s]%s isn't set.\nRestarting AWN usually solves this issue\n" % (group, key)
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/awn-manager", line 203, in <module>
    awnmanager = AwnManager()
    File "/usr/bin/awn-manager", line 130, in __init__
    self.prefManager = awnPreferences(self.wTree)
    File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py", line 98, in __init__
    self.setup_chooser(defs.APP, defs.ACTIVE_PNG, self.wTree.get_widget("activefilechooser"))
    File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py", line 196, in setup_chooser
    raise "\nKey: [%s]%s isn't set.\nRestarting AWN usually solves this issue\n" % (group, key)

    Key: [app]active_png isn't set.
    Restarting AWN usually solves this issue

    Error in sys.excepthook:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 78, in apport_excepthook
    report_file = open(pr_filename, 'wt')
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/crash/_usr_bin_awn-manager.1000.crash'

    Original exception was:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/awn-manager", line 203, in <module>
    awnmanager = AwnManager()
    File "/usr/bin/awn-manager", line 130, in __init__
    self.prefManager = awnPreferences(self.wTree)
    File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py", line 98, in __init__
    self.setup_chooser(defs.APP, defs.ACTIVE_PNG, self.wTree.get_widget("activefilechooser"))
    File "/usr/share/avant-window-navigator/awn-manager/awnPreferences.py", line 196, in setup_chooser
    raise "\nKey: [%s]%s isn't set.\nRestarting AWN usually solves this issue\n" % (group, key)

    Key: [app]active_png isn't set.
    Restarting AWN usually solves this issue


    Thanks
    you need to run avant itself at least once before awn-manager will work.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •