Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The WannabEees Thread

Beans

Re: The WannabEees Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    I am most definitely getting an Aspire One for my senior year of high school.
    Dont buy the Acer, any one, we have three Acer Laptops that have had every problem imaginable- they are not friendly with Linux especially. I have had my lappy for 2 years, and the other 2 are 3 years old. The oldest two's batteries died within 6 months, and both overheat even when just sitting there. My laptop has had the motherboard, the DVD drive, the video card, the ram, and the keyboard all replaced. It also overheats like crazy. Ubuntu has never acted right with these laptops- the horrible hardware in Acer's does not allow for a stable operating system to be achieved.

Stay away from Acer!!!! I would suggest a Dell over them.

Also the Everex cloudbook is not refined at all- it has a huge power brick, and its included OS isnt even visible on the screen at the same time. It has an incredibly slow boot up time- and its gOS makes WIndows look like a godsend, and puts its Ubuntu in embarrassment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would be utterly astonished if any laptop with an Intel Atom CPU and no mechanical hard drive overheated.

I reckon the Acer Aspire One will be very reliable, as most Acer kit is.

Scuderia Ferrari F1 can afford to be (and are) very choosy with their sponsorship partners, they would not associate themselves with an inferior brand.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    I would be utterly astonished if any laptop with an Intel Atom CPU and no mechanical hard drive overheated.

I reckon the Acer Aspire One will be very reliable, as most Acer kit is.

Scuderia Ferrari F1 can afford to be (and are) very choosy with their sponsorship partners, they would not associate themselves with an inferior brand.
    Um the ferrari's are "ok," but Acer's are inferior by far to HP's, Dell's, Asus', Apple, even Gateways... having had experience and have owned computer's from all of these companies, Acer's are the least reliable.

I would rate them in this order, according to me experience:
    Apple, HP, Asus, Dell, Gateway, Compaq, Acer.

I would suggest based off of my use of these, and reputation of the respective brands, the HP and Dell models, and of course the Eee Pc. DOnt buy the Acer or the Everex.

Beans

You're crazy. My Aspire 5610 has never given me problems - everything works on it and the machine is great. Acer has always been great, and their newfound support of Linux should prove beneficial.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    You're crazy. My Aspire 5610 has never given me problems - everything works on it and the machine is great. Acer has always been great, and their newfound support of Linux should prove beneficial.
    Well, 3 bad acer laptops, different models, and different years? I had never heard good things about them from other people I know whom have them.

People of course have different experiences.

Beans

The aspire one does look awesome - higher spec screen, memory space, battery life and processor, all for less than the eee pc. Has it actually been released at that price? If its still at £200 when its released thats a great buy (the new eee pc's with similar spec are way more expensive...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Much depends on the sample size, how many of each have you owned?

My sister's HP laptop developed a problem and had to go to Germany from the UK for repair.
    It came back with a few other faults and damaged.
    She gave up on it and sold it for parts and replaced it with a Toshiba at my suggestion.
    I have two Toshiba laptops that have been in regular use since 2000 and they are like new (apart from a few scuffs)

Look on the net though and you'll find all kinds of dire warnings about Toshibas.

Then there's the story of the Dells and Sonys that spontaneously burst into flames.
    And the wonky Dell Vostro keyboard farce.

As far as your Acer problems go, was it a Turion with an ATI graphics adapter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by kragen View Post
    The aspire one does look awesome - higher spec screen, memory space, battery life and processor, all for less than the eee pc. Has it actually been released at that price? If its still at £200 when its released thats a great buy (the new eee pc's with similar spec are way more expensive...)
    The Acer Due to go on sale mid-July according to reports.

The similar Eee900 is currently listed at Expansys.co.uk for £317 and that's not even an Atom, it's still the old Celeron.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Much depends on the sample size, how many of each have you owned?

My sister's HP laptop developed a problem and had to go to Germany from the UK for repair.
    It came back with a few other faults and damaged.
    She gave up on it and sold it for parts and replaced it with a Toshiba at my suggestion.
    I have two Toshiba laptops that have been in regular use since 2000 and they are like new (apart from a few scuffs)

Look on the net though and you'll find all kinds of dire warnings about Toshibas.

Then there's the story of the Dells and Sonys that spontaneously burst into flames.
    And the wonky Dell Vostro keyboard farce.

As far as your Acer problems go, was it a Turion with an ATI graphics adapter?
    Yes indeed. I sent it in 2 months in for a complete replacement, for a motherboard recall.

Well I think I am going to stick with Apple. The iBook I am using currently is 5 years old, and still runs faster than any of the other PC's I have owned in the last 5 years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think that my next laptop is going to be a mini laptop. I have really strayed away from computer gaming and don't need a ton of power anymore. I will have a desktop for power when needed. I think this is a good idea, I just hope they keep the prices lower than the normal sized laptops. I am liking the way things are going after the EeePc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast