Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spent some time in FreeBSD this weekend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Spent some time in FreeBSD this weekend

Try using KVM (libvirt/virt-manager, see Ubuntu Server manual) or VMWare Server, both of which work well at virtualizing FreeBSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Spent some time in FreeBSD this weekend

I've been quietly using FreeBSD for a while now and absolutely adore it. Gave NetBSD a test run recently and liked it as well. Best of both worlds? DragonflyBSD. Surprised there's not much mentioned about it in the BSD subforum here. Dragonfly will have a place on my new box when summer begins. My tests of it as a server are outstanding, though I have yet to test desktop capabilities. Just my two cents.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Spent some time in FreeBSD this weekend

This comparison is probably not objective.

First, grep is not representative for the performance of an entire operating system - I guess everybody knows that.

Second: It doesn't matter how much memory you give to a program. If the program doesn't use it, then you can give it 100 GB RAM and you won't see a difference. If you read and write from disk, it's probably more important how good data is compressed on read/write.

Third: Even if you have exactly the same sourcecode on the same operating system, you can get different results.

For example, Arch Linux compiles everything as 686, while Ubuntu compiles everything as i386. Now Pentium 4 with Direct 3d Now, MMX, SSE1,2,3,4 should be faster on heavily processor-dependant tasks (such as string comparison) than a 386 DX/SX processor...

Now, I don't know what your FreeBSD was compiled for, but it's most likely not i386.

4th: You don't know what impact the VM has on scheduling.
    If the time for the VM OS and Ubuntu is split in two "equal time" parts, then Ubuntu will of course be slower, because the time for managing the VM must be taken from Ubuntu's scheduling time share...
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
    Linux is like a wigwam.... no Gates, no Windows but Apache inside!
    http://www.debianadmin.com
    apt-get install libstdc++6-4.3-doc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123