Thread: Slackware for Music Studio, Music Recording/Production

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Slackware for Music Studio, Music Recording/Production

Does anybody use Slackware for those purposes (listed in subject line)?

Beans

Re: Slackware for Music Studio, Music Recording/Production

Nope, but Slack rocks

Beans

Slackware does not come with a boatload of music apps installed, however, it is possible to grab them from third-party repos or compile them from source. Compiling from source on Slackware is typically easier than on other distributions since SW uses plain vanilla versions for all of packages (i.e., no distro-specific patches needed). Resource intensive multimedia apps also benefit more than most other apps when compiled targeted towards the actual hardware you have.

As an alternative to Slackware, you might investigate VectorLinux in combination with its Multimedia Bonus Disk. Vector is Slackware-based and the Bonus Disk contains most of the software that would need.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    Nope, but Slack rocks
    Heck yeah it rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    Slackware does not come with a boatload of music apps installed, however, it is possible to grab them from third-party repos or compile them from source. Compiling from source on Slackware is typically easier than on other distributions since SW uses plain vanilla versions for all of packages (i.e., no distro-specific patches needed). Resource intensive multimedia apps also benefit more than most other apps when compiled targeted towards the actual hardware you have.

As an alternative to Slackware, you might investigate VectorLinux in combination with its Multimedia Bonus Disk. Vector is Slackware-based and the Bonus Disk contains most of the software that would need.
    When I ran Slack in the past I actually did my own custom set-up with all the apps included (not using some defaults, personal preference).

I don't mind installing applications from source though on certain systems find installing from binaries much more appropriate (OpenBSD being one).

The past versions of Slackware I used didn't have (I'm not sure if they do now)... ways of automatically installing dependencies so there would be no problems with the current install. I had to manually go in and do it.

Vector's nice, I like it... though prefer Slack over it. I wasn't aware, however, of that Multimedia Bonus. I'll have to look into it, see if it includes the apps that are in Ubustu, and "borrow" the ideas for a Slack set-up.

I'll likely have a 64-bit dual core etc., etc. desktop for that set-up... which, I believe, opens up slamd possibilities, though I'd *really* like for there to be an *official* Slackware 64-bit.