Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    Better Linux support is always good, but it's not the same thing as support for xcompmgr.
    True. Xcompmgr is a dead end. But better Linux support will hopefully allows ATI users to not get left out of next big eye candy upgrade.

I read that ATI's stance is something like: "If the X.org developers don't think Composite is worthy of support, why should we think it is?". I think it makes sense.
    Buying an Nvidia card to get the effect I want makes sense to me. ATI's excuses never make sense to me.

Maybe if ATI drivers where great and this was the one thing holding them back.....but thats not the case.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

it just about works for me on a 64 mb Radeon Mobility 9000 with the opensource drive, on a powerbook g4 1ghz. but i get funky yellow colours and a couple of games can crash the xserver (whether xcompmgr is running or not).

xorg 7 should make things work better

Beans

Buying an Nvidia card to get the effect I want makes sense to me. ATI's excuses never make sense to me.
    Considering that the Composite extension is buggy even on systems with an nVidia card I'd say you're in a small minority here. Most people just want better OpenGL support, so that's where ATI's focus should be. I also switched to nVidia about 9 months ago, but I still read the boards at Rage3D.com, and from what I've read it seems that ATI is making progress.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    Considering that the Composite extension is buggy even on systems with an nVidia card I'd say you're in a small minority here.
    Its a nice minority to be in.

Most people just want better OpenGL support, so that's where ATI's focus should be. I also switched to nVidia about 9 months ago, but I still read the boards at Rage3D.com, and from what I've read it seems that ATI is making progress.
    If ATI supports all the tricks that are comming with Xorg 7.0 then I'll be happy for sure. Till then I'll survive with xcompmgr.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Its a nice minority to be in.
    I kind of agree here. GPU accelerated desktop is definitely the way to go. I've experimented with xcompmgr quite a lot myself and I think it has great potential. If it was stable it would be a good reason to switch to Nvidia.

If ATI supports all the tricks that are comming with Xorg 7.0 then I'll be happy for sure.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. ATI's Linux development team has very limited resources (proportional to Linux's market share) and they're still struggling with basic OpenGL compatibility. When they accomplish that goal they can focus on performance. And then, X.org tricks. At least that's what I think their plan is.

Beans

Hi

Well, I've been reading about xcompmgr for a few weeks, how it's buggy and a deadend and I've been thinking, "Sounds like a waste of time". Then I tried it. It's beautiful. Really... beautiful... I had to smurk at myself, repeatedly hitting ctrl+alt+D, sending multiple windows fading in and out, rolling my mouse along the firefox bookmarks toolbar, menus gliding their shadows into one another. Lol. Xmas in X land. Thanks for a great howto phg.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flibble
    Hi

Well, I've been reading about xcompmgr for a few weeks, how it's buggy and a deadend and I've been thinking, "Sounds like a waste of time". Then I tried it. It's beautiful. Really... beautiful... I had to smurk at myself, repeatedly hitting ctrl+alt+D, sending multiple windows fading in and out, rolling my mouse along the firefox bookmarks toolbar, menus gliding their shadows into one another. Lol. Xmas in X land. Thanks for a great howto phg.

No problem. Ever since Breezy made Xcompmgr tolerable to use (by almost never crashing it) I have been hooked myself.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi folks, and thank you poofyhairguy for a very nice guide!
    I'm using XFCE and I wonder what the command is to disable the shadow effects, or I think it is the shadow effects that I want to disable.

Problem:
    When I'm changing the windows seize everythings freeze. That is the function i want to disable . I know that I should expect it to crash often, but everything else work close to perfect.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my poor english.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by norwyn
    Hi folks, and thank you poofyhairguy for a very nice guide!
    I'm using XFCE and I wonder what the command is to disable the shadow effects, or I think it is the shadow effects that I want to disable.

Problem:
    When I'm changing the windows seize everythings freeze. That is the function i want to disable . I know that I should expect it to crash often, but everything else work close to perfect.
    Thats just how the XFCE composite manager works. I don't think you can control its functions, and it crashes a lot me. Personally, I wouldn't advise anyone to use XFCE's composite manager, but if you want to please know that such crashes are part of its program.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First off - thanks for the how to, it written really clear and detailed.

Would really like to try this, but have one question.

When you said I would need the official nvidia drivers do you mean the ones found int the repositories, or the one from the nvidia web site??

sorry for the noob question, but just want to be sure.

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast