Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by rjwood
    I seem to remember P.H.Guy doing a thing of replacing metacity with e-17 in hoary a while back. Will you be doing another "how to" for that with breezy?
    I can, but I won't be able to support it that well because I don't use that trick anymore.....because of xcompmgr. It and E17 fight worse than it and Metacity.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    E17 has those nice fake dropshadows.
    Sigh. Reminds me. Gotta get a new copy of e17 and check the for the newest changes. Either that or wimp back to e16. Got gnome all tricked out though so I'm not in as much of a rush.

Hehe, just noticed a bit of misunderstanding maybe. Mac Os 8/9 basically as part of the the theme used a black lined down the left and bottom sides on the frontmost window. It was as fake a shadow as you could get. But it was a very good visual cue.
    Last edited by pizzach; October 21st, 2005 at 04:58 PM.
    "So switching to if-then-else blocks might be good Computer Science theory, but using goto's is good Engineering. Since the Linux kernel is one designed to be used, rather than to demonstrate theory, sound engineering principles take priority."

Beans

Nice HOWTO! However I have a couple of question on the script:

if [[ $a = "" ]]

why do you use a double bracket? I'e read thi is only in the korn shell. Also the right way of doing a test is something like:

if [ "$a" = "" ]
    or better
    if [ x$a = x ]

if you use [ $a = something ] it can become [ = something ] and it will generate an error because 'test' (the program linked by [ ) is expecting a binary condition.

Beans

Shadowie fun!!

Okay, I just want to illustrate this a bit more clearly: Notice the two pictures I have attached to this message. Look closely at the window borders of the active and inactive windows. The active window has a dark black drop shadow. The inactive windows also have shadows but aren't as dark. What disappoints me about XWindows/gnome themes is that the active windows doesn't have shadows or anything the like period. It makes theme easier to disern even Mac OS 9 style. You don't need fancy processor heavy things that crash stuff to do the job.

xcompmgr throws out some nice shadows. But I miss the functionality of Mac OS X/9 shadows. The formost window casts a larger shadow. (look at the attached) Mac OS X does the same as 9 but it isn't noticeable until you look close. The beauty is in the details.

People understand what I'm talking about now?

Edit: 8 minutes of grammar/spelling fixes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple 9.jpg 
Views:	593 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	3108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple picture.gif 
Views:	515 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	3109  
    Last edited by pizzach; October 23rd, 2005 at 03:32 AM.
    "So switching to if-then-else blocks might be good Computer Science theory, but using goto's is good Engineering. Since the Linux kernel is one designed to be used, rather than to demonstrate theory, sound engineering principles take priority."

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    I can, but I won't be able to support it that well because I don't use that trick anymore.....because of xcompmgr. It and E17 fight worse than it and Metacity.

I was just about to ask if it was possible to get this working with e17+gnome. I really like e17+gnome. Do you recommend this over e17? Which is prettier?

Beans

Ok, I was doing some research on the Gentoo Wiki and it seems that with the next release of Xorg some ATI cards (up to a 9200) will be able to get in on the fun:

You can get hardware accelled Render (EXA) for 9200 and below, using X.org CVS, thus making Composite ridiculously fast and even overcome NVidia cards, cause they don't support EXA yet. This is with Open Source "radeon" driver.
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_...ivers_.2B_Xorg
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

When I am wrong I can admit it, but this time I'm VERY happy to be wrong.

Turns out that because the next Xorg (the big 7) is going to allow the card with the best open source drivers in existence (the ATI 9250's and below) to get in on the accerated Composite Manager party development in xcompmgr has started up again:

http://xapps.freedesktop.org/release/

Its there. A new version released at the end of last month. Joy!

I compiled it for myself and its working fine. I can already tell its more stable. I will try to make a deb file so that other can use it too, but if you can't wait this page will tell you what to do:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...client=firefox

And I included the xcompmgr file I compiled on my machine. Just untar the file and then use the terminal to cd to the directory that is made and then use the normal commands. I have my whole set-up changed for this new xcompmgr and I will tell an easy way to do that soon!
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

No wait, here is the post with the new xcompmgr.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Excellent news!!

Hope they will keep up developement so we can get some bling bling on our desktops

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

In my experience, xcompmgr or xcomposite in general is only really good for one thing: taking pretty screenshots and then immediately turning it off.

It's buggy as hell and even when "accelerated" is slow (try moving a big window around with drop shadows with xcompmgr with a 2ghz athlon, then do the same in OSX on an old iMac... heh).

It's not really worth it to me, at least until it is truly accelerated, unbuggy and clean like it is in OSX or (though awfully ugly) in Vista.

Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast