Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzach
    That's odd. I build it from source too from poofyhairguy's link. (The directory expands as 1.1.3 while the actualy built version is 1.1.2.) I'm running a Pentium M though. Oh well. I'm happy I can log out at least...
    my laptops a pentium m, but its got ati graphics, dont really think that will work well

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib
    my laptops a pentium m, but its got ati graphics, dont really think that will work well
    On a side note, I'm only using shadows. I initialize xcompmgr as:
    xcompmgr -cC -r 8 -l -9 -t -9 && killall gnome-panels

Otherwise it sounds like you might be out of luck.
    "So switching to if-then-else blocks might be good Computer Science theory, but using goto's is good Engineering. Since the Linux kernel is one designed to be used, rather than to demonstrate theory, sound engineering principles take priority."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

And this work with older ATI card, but not newer? (I have an ATI 9800)

Beans

Well i got everything installed and it does look nice, though not to the degree i was expecting from this board. . . anyway one thing is i don't see any shadows, maybe i'll just tinker with the code some . . . it is supposed to have obvious shadow's though, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Actually the acceration really depends on how good your video card is. I experiance less crashing and a greater overall speed with my 6600 GT compared to my 5200 FX.
    In OSX with cards much less powered than these two examples (6600 GT and 5200 FX) there is no lag. Why?... because it isn't a hack, and they did it right from the ground up.

It's not the card's fault, it's the framework. Requiring a certain card using EXA for unlaggy drop-shadows sounds just as ridiculous as Vista requiring a DX9-capable card. OpenGL is common and works... Apple gets it. (Xgl is our closest equivalent.. but does anyone actually use it?)

Have fun waiting a year or more likely two or three till its up to your standards and I hope you have the correct video card even then.
    By your standards, I already have the so-called "correct" video card for using xcompmgr. Don't assume. Anyway it doesn't at all bother me that xcomp sucks... if it did I would have switched to OSX ages ago.
    Last edited by neuschnee; November 7th, 2005 at 08:40 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom
    And this work with older ATI card, but not newer? (I have an ATI 9800)
    Yes. The ATI 92XX and 9000 cards have excellent open source drivers that do not come from ATI. These open source drivers are what allow the new ATI acceration to work. These card are the most power cards on the market with open specifications.

I hate to say it, but something tells me the worst situation to be in for compositing right now is to own an ATI card newer than a 9250. There are open source drivers but it seems it will be a while before they are able to fully accerate a composite manager while the open source ATI drivers and the Nvidia drivers do it today.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib
    i have installed xcompmgr on my desktop, and i want to use it on my laptop, but not until the "cannot log out" bug is fixed. for me, that one inconvenience isn't worth the eye candy of the composite manager, so does anyone know if the new version fixes this?
    The new xcompmgr did not fix this bug for me, but there are ways to deal with it.

One is to follow my guide and make an "on/off" button and turn it off before logging out.

The other is to find a way to make a script that turns it off automatically when you log out.

The first solution is a good one because xcompmgr is so buggy that you want an on /off switch anyway.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ljamie82
    Well i got everything installed and it does look nice, though not to the degree i was expecting from this board. . . anyway one thing is i don't see any shadows, maybe i'll just tinker with the code some . . . it is supposed to have obvious shadow's though, right?
    Not if you use my custom xcompmgr command, as I don't like shadows. They make my gdesklets look bad.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neuschnee
    In OSX with cards much less powered than these two examples (6600 GT and 5200 FX) there is no lag. Why?... because it isn't a hack, and they did it right from the ground up.
    If you pay upper class prices you should get an upper class product. The Linux Desktop is putting together its eye candy revolution on a shoe-string budget.

Comparing the Linux desktop to OSX is a surefire way to get depressed and it does not help anyone.

It's not the card's fault, it's the framework. Requiring a certain card using EXA for unlaggy drop-shadows sounds just as ridiculous as Vista requiring a DX9-capable card. OpenGL is common and works... Apple gets it. (Xgl is our closest equivalent.. but does anyone actually use it?)
    You don't seem to get it. Its not the framework's fault, its not the card's fault. Its the fault of poor Linux drivers. The two best Linux drivers are Nvidia's closed one and the ATI 92xx open source one. They both work now with composite.

It has nothing to do with opengl. Having a fully developed opengl xserver (the xegl) means nothing if there are no good opengl Linux drivers to work with. Luckily it seems that as a result of the next Xorg release's effort to make the drivers independent, the open source drivers for most card can rapidly get better. If not there is always the old ATI cards or new Nvidia ones...

Again comparing to Apple is fruitless. Apple controls their hardware and has GREAT drivers for every video card in every Mac. If Linux had the same driver situation the Xegl would probably be where the effort would be focused, not on EXA. EXA was created because it the driver situation is so bad that if we had to wait for it to settle after the xorg 7.0 release to start making an accerated desktop, then Linux would not have one for two years after Vista was released.

By your standards, I already have the so-called "correct" video card for using xcompmgr. Don't assume.
    My only assumption is the obvious one that unlike OSX or even Windows, desktop Linux has to care more about legacy hardware (if only because so many people use it to "save" machines the other OSes left behind) and this fact makes it so that the majority of Linux users lack the specific cards needed to have a nicely accerated desktop.

Anyway it doesn't at all bother me that xcomp sucks... if it did I would have switched to OSX ages ago.
    For me the fact that xcompmgr became semi-stable is the reason why I don't own a Mac today. I'm willing to invest time and money to help develop the Linux solution (or at least help bug test it) because now that I have used an accerated desktop on my sister's Powerbook and my computer with xcompmgr turned on I can't go back.

Honestly if getting a new ATI card keeps me from buying an expensive and soon to be obsolete PPC Mac before they get the Intel ones than its money well spent. I hate waiting.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yes. The ATI 92XX and 9000 cards have excellent open source drivers that do not come from ATI. These open source drivers are what allow the new ATI acceration to work. These card are the most power cards on the market with open specifications.

I hate to say it, but something tells me the worst situation to be in for compositing right now is to own an ATI card newer than a 9250. There are open source drivers but it seems it will be a while before they are able to fully accerate a composite manager while the open source ATI drivers and the Nvidia drivers do it today.
    and where would i go to get these drivers (as it is, ive got great 3d acceleration on my radeon 9000 with the official drivers, if these are better, that would be great)

Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast