Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

With the new 8756 drivers, my compositing manager is now completely stable, video works correctly, OpenGL, whatever (I'm running XFCE, btw). But VLC still does funky stuff, I have to shade and unshade the window to make it show video, it won't show when it's maximized, and dragging or having something go by over the window messes the video up. MPlayer, Totem, XFMedia, Xine all work fine. What can I do to VLC to make it play correctly?
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

set VLC video setting for "X11 video output"

thats what worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks. Works great! ^_^
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Renderaccel stops Xmame working, at least on the nvidia drivers in the breezy repositories. Other than that, it's all great.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi

How do you ONLY make the windows titlebar and the border transparent like windows vista?

nami

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nami
    Hi

How do you ONLY make the windows titlebar and the border transparent like windows vista?

nami
    you click where it has the "apply translucency only to decorations"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am running xubuntu on a computer with onboard video (VIA S3 Unichrome Pro). I set up compositing, but it runs very sluggishly. Are there any tweaks I can do to improve performance of the xfce compositing manager with an unsupported card? It just looks so crappy without it, with windows leaving trails everywhere they are dragged.

And how do I know if I have the best drivers set up for my card?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Haha, awesome - this even works on my old Riva TNT2 Nvidia card. Granted its insanely slow and the windows don't move smoothly, but it's nice to know that it possible!

Beans

SORRY, I just found the answer in this same thread, one page behind.....now i feel stupid....
    hello all,
    I'm running dapper on a pentium d 3ghz with an nvidia 6500,

the xcompmgr thing works great, and i even showed it to my friend who's testing vista - but one thing i omited to mention (and hoping to solve) was this: when I click on the button at the top right to log off, it just hangs my x server so i have to ctrl-alt-backspace into tty1 and kill xorg...i know it says we need newest driver and cards, but can anyone tell me if my card is too "old" or if my driver is old (8762)??

cheers,

Galileon.
    Last edited by galileon; June 9th, 2006 at 02:32 PM.

Beans

but its slowing down my 3ddesktop now, any idea if it can be resolved?

i mean instead of a fluid 3ddesktop switch, it just throws the screen very abruptly ...

thanks.

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast