Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by ember
    Ah - thanks. Actually you are right, but it still leaves the question: How do I log out with xcompmgr enabled. Is there any way other than changing WMs?

Best regards,
    ember
    Getting the newest drivers fixed it for me. I seem to be a rarity. The only other solution for Xcompmgr is to make it easy to turn on and off (from the trick on the first page) and turn it off.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Getting the newest drivers fixed it for me. I seem to be a rarity. The only other solution for Xcompmgr is to make it easy to turn on and off (from the trick on the first page) and turn it off.
    If you disable the logout prompt with gconf-editor (apps/gnome-session/options) it works, but it just ends the session and starts gdm.

Beans

I've tried out this guide and updated my NVIDIA driver as well, but ran into some problems. Just like to ask 2 questions:

1. Do I need to install xcompmgr, if I'm using Kubuntu?
    2. When using shadows/transparencies, I monitored my Xorg's VmSize performance. It starts out around 100,000, but shoots up to 800,000. Even while I only have 2 windows open! Is this a normal behavior when using composites? I mean I can understand if xorg w/ composites would use around 200,000+ VmSize, but for it to gradually grow to the limit of my RAM? It's like xorg is trying to eat up any and all remaining free space.

Here are my specs, btw:
    AMD Sempron 2200 (1.5 GHz)
    256 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 128 MB

If I turn composite off, My xorg stays around at 60,000+ VmSize.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

If you use smeg/alacarte it's pretty easy to make a shutdown/reboot menu which you can also add to the panel in place of the logout applet (if you use it).
    openSuse 10.0 - Kanotix/Debian Sid - Ubuntu Dapper - Fedora Core 5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Good idea. I will try it tomorrow. Yet now it's time to sleep - for my computer as well as for me

Beans

I have nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 and when activate composite work well. The problem come when I open twice windows, close and open another, for example, it place in foreground and hide all gnome panels.
    If I start composite at boot, the bottom panel of gnome don't appear.
    Is a know problem? thanks for your help.

Silvio.

Beans

I haven't read all this in here;

Running Dapper: I think the new kernel is compiled with gcc 4.0 so perhaps CC should be adjusted too. (But on the other hand, somehow method2 is failling for me although nvidia-installer doesn't give errors, modprobing doesnt give errors but starting X states module nvidia can't be loaded/found)

Anyways...

How to get the menus Applications, PLaces and System transparant? Just transset and clicking the panel doesnt make the menus themselves transparant unfortunately!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Right-click on panel and select properties (or preferences, can't remember) and change the background to solid colour then adjust the transparency that way.
    openSuse 10.0 - Kanotix/Debian Sid - Ubuntu Dapper - Fedora Core 5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by scrooch
    I haven't read all this in here;

Running Dapper: I think the new kernel is compiled with gcc 4.0 so perhaps CC should be adjusted too. (But on the other hand, somehow method2 is failling for me although nvidia-installer doesn't give errors, modprobing doesnt give errors but starting X states module nvidia can't be loaded/found)

Anyways...

How to get the menus Applications, PLaces and System transparant? Just transset and clicking the panel doesnt make the menus themselves transparant unfortunately!
    Dapper has (I think) the latest nVidia drivers in the repositories. It's 81.78. Just install the nvidia-glx package. The kernel is being replaced too often in Dapper to manually install the nvidia drivers - you'd need to install them again every couple of days

Beans

does xorg have a leak when using composites in KDE (kompmgr)? I'm using the latest nvidia driver (8178). Does anyone have any idea?

Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast