Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray.
    I showed this to my friend today and he is now the proud owner of a new Ubuntu PC. I feel so happy
    Nice

One problem though is that sometimes when I maximise windows, they overlap the top and bottom dock-bar-things (looks like fullscreen but still a window). Anyone know what to do?
    Its easy to fix. Keep using one command till it works:

Code:
    killall gnome-panel
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Thanks for that.
    By the time you read this, you already read it.
    Linux user #404721 http://counter.li.org

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Here is a neat screenshot I took of xcompmgr and transset running in Xgl:[/IMG]
    May I ask how did you do that? When using this command:

Code:
    Xglx :1 -ac -screen 640x480
    the only thing I get is a pointer and black-white background.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I 'm not sure but you should be able to launch programs in it by typing

DISPLAY=:1
    before any command.
    So the graphical interface will launch in the xgl server not in your standard xorg

EDIT:
    you must also do
    Code:
    export DISPLAY=:1
    and then for example launch gnome-session all this in a terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Well all listening about xgl made me wanna compile it
    As far i have a problem on the configure it seems to have some problems with the x prototypes :
    checking for XSERVER... configure: error: Package requirements (randrproto renderproto fixesproto damageproto xextproto xfont xproto xtrans xau compositeproto resourceproto recordproto xkbfile) were not met.
    But i checked and in installed everything with apt. I 'm still on breezy so maybe it is not possible to compile it on but i really doubt that.

Maybe i miss something here.
    An idea here?
    Thanx a lot for your help.

By the way my configure command follows the one told by david r on the mailing list :

Code:
    ./configure --enable-xglserver --enable-glx --enable-xkb --with-mesa-source=/home/fab/compil/Mesa-6.4.1/src/
    Thanx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Squalor
    May I ask how did you do that? When using this command:

Code:
    Xglx :1 -ac -screen 640x480
    the only thing I get is a pointer and black-white background.
    After this, open another terminal and give:
    Code:
    DISPLAY=":1"
    then in the same terminal, give something...
    Code:
    nautilus
    That's it.

Last edited by fog; January 5th, 2006 at 11:50 PM.
    Where there's a shell, there is a way.
    github || flickr || blog || dArt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fabs0028
    But i checked and in installed everything with apt. I 'm still on breezy so maybe it is not possible to compile it on but i really doubt that.
    Thats what I determined. It might be possible but so is Linux from scratch but I will never do that!

Basically I could not get it to run in Breezy. In fact, the only distro I know of with all the dependancies is Gentoo.

So I installed Dapper to use the Xgl from its repos (that was added after I made Mr. Stone mad one day) so I could play with the glxcompmgr released recently.

Honestly the Xgl is not too exciting on its own. Its the compmgrs that make it fun.

I will try again to compile a new Xgl from the recent code when it actually enters the CVS. From what I read, many fixes will be added in the next couple of days.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by fog
    After this, open another terminal and give:
    Code:
    DISPLAY=":1"
    then in the same terminal, give something...
    Code:
    nautilus
    That's it.
    Thank you for your help.

Does anyone know where to get glxcompmgr? Does anyone have a DEB?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Squalor
    Does anyone know where to get glxcompmgr? Does anyone have a DEB?
    I have been trying, but it takes a lot to get it to work. I got it to compile into a deb with checkinstall, but I don't want to release it because it just doesn't work. As it is it's almost obsolete because there is plans to replace it by its creator. Maybe if Mr. Stone puts it in the repos we will play with it, otherwise I will keep trying.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Here's another testimonial: I got my new computer up and running. On an NVIDIA Geforce 6100 with the latest NVIDIA drivers, this works like a charm. I notice absolutely no difference in speed, at all. Only problem is, I lost my bottom panel, but I can live with that.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast