Page 35 of 57 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: The Composite Manager Guide: How to Get Vista-ish Effects in (K)(X)Ubuntu.

Here is a neat screenshot I took of xcompmgr and transset running in Xgl:

Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is that the Nautilus file browser?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

how'd you get xgl to compile? I've had zero luck with this.
    "If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA"

- Armageddon Days are Here Again - The The

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

poofyhairguy very cool, but what is xgl really? is it some hack to xorg or is it standalone?
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Footer
    Is that the Nautilus file browser?
    Yes.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grendelkhan
    how'd you get xgl to compile? I've had zero luck with this.
    Its the repo Xgl. I installed Dapper to mix it with the recently released glxcompmgr (which I got to compile but so far I can't control).

I'm going to wait till the newest code hits the cvs before I try to compile it again. Apparently it needs some immediate work.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jannol
    poofyhairguy very cool, but what is xgl really? is it some hack to xorg or is it standalone?
    Hack to Xorg for now. Here is more info:

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.p...d&cid=14382851

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.p...d&cid=14383213

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.p...d&cid=14383009
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

that was really interesting to read but I'll wait for a while more, maybe I try this when dapper becomes official, I got everything workin in breezy and I also got the memory leak to a minimum, I don't actully know if it was because of one small stuff I got from a novell linux dev but it seems to help

sudo chown <user> /usr/local/bin/xcompmgr

or maybe

sudo chown <user> /usr/bin/xcompmgr

for some

replace user with your own username

Since that I have run xcompmgr about 2 days before it shuts off and computer gets slow as hell but then in a few minutes I start xcompmgr again and all is good.
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I showed this to my friend today and he is now the proud owner of a new Ubuntu PC. I feel so happy

One problem though is that sometimes when I maximise windows, they overlap the top and bottom dock-bar-things (looks like fullscreen but still a window). Anyone know what to do?
    Last edited by Gray.; January 5th, 2006 at 07:56 AM.
    By the time you read this, you already read it.
    Linux user #404721 http://counter.li.org

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

it easily have that effect, one of my friends instantly said, "I WANT THAT" and even if I tried to explain all about not stable yet etc etc and also I know he has alot of other needs but now he has ubuntu and so far I have managed to help out with all of his comp. needs as eg. remote music server from an old DELLLLL laptop with vnc, video editing, music editing, tv-out on the remote comp. etc.
    I told him to shutdown xcompmgr when using kino since then it crashes easily.
    Isaac Newton

Page 35 of 57 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast