Thread: Newbie requesting "SOS"

Beans

Newbie requesting "SOS"

Howdy, you'all? Just last night I purchased the book by Marcel Gagne entitled, "Moving to Ubuntu Linux", from Borders in Pearl City, HI.
    It only took me a few key pages for me to decide instantly that I must get the book. It has a DVD that I use to try out the linux OS--without actually installing it on my Windows XP OS. (Of course, if and when I'm
    ready to really install it, the DVD also has ways to accomplish that, also.

For several years I've heard about the great features of the linux OS. I even have a previous book and accompanying CD that I tried to "test" the linux OS--but it did not work out as well as I wished it to. The problem was mainly with my OS, rather than the CD.

In the back of my mind I've always thought that "someday, when I'm good and ready" I will eventually switch over to the Ubuntu Linux OS--permanently. I am really "sold" on the great benefits of the OS, like very rare computer crashes, more stable security, rare viruses, etc., as well as totally free software/application downloads, etc.

So, I guess it's just about time that I switch over. However, since I only had the book last night, I am studying the first few pages on how to log-on, as well as--and very importantly--how to log-off and get back into my Windows XP OS--without crashing my computer to Kingdom Come!
    Naturally, I have some very good Windows software and applications that I really treasure, as well as some very interesting, as well as VIDs (Very Important Documents) that I do not wish to part with--and therefore, I have to back them up first before really installing the new Ubuntu Linux OS on my computer--and "wiping off my old Windows OS.

In the meantime, is there any possibility for at least one of you reading this "short note"--especially if you live near or close to Pearl City, Hawaii, would please take the time to contact me via email, so that I could visit you and thereby actually see the Ubuntu Linux OS in action? You see, absolutely none of my personal friends nor family members are familiar, much less aware of the linux OS--so none of them can really help me in this matter. So, actually having "at least ONE" person show me his/her linux OS in operation would certainly help me a whole lot in learning at least the basics of the OS, as well as really speeding up my transition over to Ubuntu Linux.

I would really appreciate you contact me and help me out in becoming a full fledged Ubuntu Linux OS user.

Thank you very much!

Fondest Aloha!
    Rokapo

Even if only one person responds to this SOS I'll be even happier than
    Bill Gates, with all his money!

Beans

Re: Newbie requesting "SOS"

There is two things you can try without looking at others computers.

1. Download the ubuntu CD, and boot it.. From there you can run the entire OS straight from the CD. So then you can check out how it looks and feels, without making ANY changes on your computer.
    The downside with running from the CD, is that its much slower than it would be if you ran it from your harddrive. But the benefit is that when you eject the CD, and reboot (in revers order ) your computer is back to normal.

2. If you download the beta of the new version of Ubuntu (hardy heron that is), the you can install it via Wubi..
    Wubi make you install Ubuntu inside Windows. Here there is no downsides that I know about. You simply install it (no partitioning since The entire Ubuntu is just a file installed in windows), and then reboot in to Ubuntu.
    If you don't like it, you can simply boot back into Windows, and remove Ubuntu from add/remove in the control panel in Windows! Great eyh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i am a fellow noob who has just made the jump trying the live cd is really great. i agree it is alot slower (and noisier) than when its on the old hd but give it a go it is soooo easy. also its worth considering that if you have any problems then this forum will sort it out! people have answered my problems in less than 5 minutes before! literally amazed at this forum!

Beans

Aloha Rokapo,

I agree that you should download the CD and boot the LiveCD environment. There is a way to set up your computer in what's called a "dual-boot" configuration, where you keep your windows partition and at boot time, you can decide whether to boot Linux (Ubuntu) or Windows. That means that there are no changes to your Windows configuration or installed programs. If you have a book, then it should describe the installation process thoroughly.

I wish I could point you to a LUG (Linux User Group), but I don't know if there are any on O'ahu. They usually do installation parties.

Good luck and if you have problems, contact me.

Cheers,
    Stephan

Beans

I am a new linux person myself and I ould have to say go the WUBI route. I had messed with livecd's more than a few but never saw the benifits of havning to deal with partitioning and the like. Then I came across WUBI and could not be happier. I still don't use linux that often but it's nice that it's there and if I ever want to get rid of it I can 'add/remove" it off the hard drive.

Beans

Rokapo,

Did you get your install working?

I am new to Unbuntu, though I have experimented with linux systems in the past. I am very impressed so far.

I simply downloaded the CD image of the 8.04 desktop distribution, burned my own boot CD, booted it, and then installed. All on my Windows XP machine. The machine now has dual boot capability, and I can run either OS.

Everything went well. Like I said, I was impressed. Unbuntu even found my router and had me on the internet as soon as I lanuched Firefox.

Anyway, I'll be checking in from time to time. Really want to get into this ubuntu stuff.

rrinaldi

Beans

Smile Re: Newbie requesting "SOS"

Aloha,

if any of your guys are on O'ahu, let's get together and meet. If you have any questions, want to talk about Linux or Ubuntu in general, why don't we get something going in Hawaii?

Stephan

Beans

great idea.