Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: ATI fglrx driver 8.16.20

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: ATI fglrx driver 8.16.20

I'll take a look. It's been a while since I looked at my BIOS on this machine, but I remember that it was exremely limited.

Beans

Yeah, my BIOS offers no options on ram, just says how much there is. Once I get home tonight I can open up my box again, and see what the BIOS does when I have both chips in, but for now at least, halving my ram isn't a bad trade-off to have 3D acceleration.

EDIT:

So looking at my ram a little closer, its the same brand, same speed, with slightly different model numbers. Strange that it would cause problems to use both chips.
    Last edited by eudemon; October 18th, 2005 at 02:11 AM.

Beans

any solution yet about the resolution bug in 8.16.20 ?

reason: cant use the 8.18 driver, because it just doesnt work in some applications (ok, in games. ok in ONE game. wow - but as its the ONLY reason i need 3D-acceleration, and its the only game i play anyway, its critical...)

what would help me too, is a way to get the 8.14.13 to compile with GCC4.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

What about mtrr errors?

This is my error's log in dmesg...

[fglrx:firegl_addmap] *ERROR* mtrr allocation failed (-22)

This thread...

(http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33736241)
    Don't resolve anything (April 2004)

I have test 8.18 driver but I get the same error.

My "cat /proc/mtrr"
    reg00: base=0x00000000 ( 0MB), size=983552MB: write-back, count=1
    reg01: base=0x20000000 ( 512MB), size=983296MB: write-back, count=1
    reg02: base=0xd8000000 (3456MB), size=983104MB: write-combining, count=1

Any suggestion?

Sorry for my poor english...

Beans

What about mtrr errors?
    The mtrr and firegl_unlock errors are a problem for some people but it's a bug and not an installation issue, so I can't help you. There is a link for bugzilla at the top of every page and that's the only way to communicate with the developers about those sort of problems.

Beans

I have followed the howto (upgraded to breezy, 32-bit kernel, Radeon 9100 integrated graphics) and have a problem not mentioned in this thread. I've looked elsewhere on the forum but most of it is hoary stuff that is mixing me up a bit.

When I run fglrxinfo it tells me that the vendor is ATI, as it should be. xorg.conf has fglrx as the driver to use, all good.

When I run glxgears or fg_glxgears, the window opens, black background and the computer locks - i have to do a hard reset. I've not tried a game, but I can guess what it'll be.

Beans

i have to do a hard reset. I've not tried a game, but I can guess what it'll be.
    I've seen a few other threads with similar results. I gather that it is the 9200 and older that most often see the problem.

Beans

3D Acceleration for an older ATI laptop video card

Hey I was wondering how I would go about getting 3d acceleration for my video card in my laptop. It is a ATI Rage Mobility 32.

Thanks,

Mike

Beans

I followed the guide by mlomker and it didn't work. Then I tried remmelt's suggestion which was replacing 'ati' with 'fglrx' in the xorg.conf driver. That worked. I rebooted and ran fglrxinfo and got what I wanted.

However, I'm still having problems. I cant open up Totem to play an mp3 or a video clip. It says:
    The video output is in use by another application. Please close other video applications, or select another video output in the Multimedia Systems Selector.
    No, I don't have any other video apps open. I took a look at the Multimedia Systems Selector in System>Preferences and I just don't know which option to choose.

I haven't installed any codecs which I was thinking was the problem, but before I installed the ati drivers I could listen to mp3's with Totem. Also, when I run glxgears the window pops up with the gears and it appears they are moving at the speed they should be. But it doesn't display the fps and time in the terminal and my computer becomes really slow.

EDIT: I just ran fgl_glxgears and I actually got results. My computer didn't become as slow and it outputted the fps, which was mostly in the eight hundreds. Like I said above, glxgears is really choppy and doesn't display output. I left it on for ten minutes, came back and it still didn't print anything.
    Last edited by Baf; October 26th, 2005 at 09:39 PM.

Beans

I followed the guide by mlomker and it didn't work. Then I tried remmelt's suggestion which was replacing 'ati' with 'fglrx' in the xorg.conf driver. That worked. I rebooted and ran fglrxinfo and got what I wanted.
    That's what the dpkg-reconfigure does, so I have to assume that you skipped it.

display output. I left it on for ten minutes, came back and it still didn't print anything.

Look here.

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast