Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Earn an F with Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Earn an F with Ubuntu!

lockdown is a ridiculous idea!!!

havent these guys heard about a virtual machine!!!!

btw.... most colleges(at least mine does) in india use open source software.... and the idea of having online tests have also not caught on here either so it will be sometime before i will have to use **** like lockdown..... we still have the good old pen and paper.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

As the original poster is from America all I can say is.. this lockoff program might violate your cival rights to use the OS of choice.

As I understand all you are doing is accessing a sercure site to do your exam?

Best of luck
    Windows XP is like an 8" FDD, kept for compatibility but is no longer required.
    www.linux-books.us/ Free Linux books a great source of information viewable . in PDF
    Ubuntu User 23555

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Isn't it a ritual in your country to sue for something like this?

I think they deserve it.. make them buy you a special computer so you can take tests

Beans

Silly question.

What happen if computer crash???
    (read hard reboot)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Biochem View Post
    Silly question.

What happen if computer crash???
    (read hard reboot)
    If the program closes in any way other than from its own interface, the restrictions become permanent. No more [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] for you, since the program has to properly close in order to lift the restrictions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lavagolemking View Post
    If the program closes in any way other than from its own interface, the restrictions become permanent. No more [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] for you, since the program has to properly close in order to lift the restrictions.
    Am I to understand that if the computer crash and restart the computer become a weight paper

That sounds like a lot of angry student at the help desk. Maybe a lawsuit or two in the US too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I attend the University of Johannesburg in South Africa and wiht the use of a system called Edulink, all my classes and courses are listed, each has their own sub-site with Announcement pages, a calender with important dates, discussion boards, student mail, your grades, lecture slide downloads and extra downloadable material. All in secure javascript!

Then The lockdown browser comes in, ruins my ubuntu experience completely!!!

Heads will roll!
    Last edited by Beanmonster; August 23rd, 2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Redundance
    Time isn't wasted when you're getting wasted

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kr00lplatinum View Post
    The LockDown Browser supports Windows and Mac but not Linux! When launched the browser automatically shuts down unnecessary applications that may be running. For instance, Pidgin, FireFox, Word, etc. It does this in order to stop people from cheating.
    I'm sorry, but how stuipd is this? People can still cheat very easy on this test. Since you can esay have a second PC in the room, a professor and so on.

There is NO way to avoid cheating.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kr00lplatinum View Post
    Major Universities such as the University of Minnesota and other MN schools now require students to have a Windows OS. The reason they are requiring this is because more and more classes have online exams. This is especially true when you take an Online course.

For the three years that I've been a MN student I haven't had a problem using Ubuntu until recently. The problems comes when I try to take an online test. My school now requires me to take the test with a new web browser called: "LockDown Browser" by Respondus.

Here is the link to the application:

http://www.respondus.com/products/lockdown.shtml

The LockDown Browser supports Windows and Mac but not Linux! When launched the browser automatically shuts down unnecessary applications that may be running. For instance, Pidgin, FireFox, Word, etc. It does this in order to stop people from cheating.

So, if you only have Ubuntu on your system you're screwed because without the LockDown Browser you can't take your exam. Which means you'll earn an F! for trying to support open source!

This is really troubling because I would love to use Ubuntu exclusively but am unable to do so until I'm done with school.

I've tried to get Wine to run the browser but it doesn't work.

Just thought I would warn all those students out their that love Ubuntu. You'll have to dual boot.
    virtualbox

Beans

My School just started using this. It is ridiculous. This program was probably thought of by Bill Gates himself. I am going to write the president of my school. If i wanted to cheat i would take notes on PAPER. try to track that on a computer program.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast