Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Edit PDF files and add highlighting and comments

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Edit PDF files and add highlighting and comments

You are right, if Okular is your first KDE app, then it's about 256 MBs for the install. Although I still hope that Evince catches up with the capabilities of Okular...

I gave Mendeley one last chance, resetting all my web and desktop settings. It's still driving me insane, constantly trying to do stuff and being slow.

So, I don't know why I had previously kinda dismissed Xournal in my mind but I gave it another try just now, and it looks awesome. The only "flaw" is it doesn't seem to let me highlight lines in a straight way. But it can export pdf with annotations, it lets me comment, etc. So it has all that I need.

So, I think I'll migrate to Bibus (manager) + Xournal (annotator) for pdf.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Xournal looks great, it does everything I want except one. I could not make it export the hyperref links. To me, it looks like it exports the "print pdf" output. Am I missing something or is this feature not implemented yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you for your valuable information, I was struggling with the same issues as discussed here.

I have used Okular for a while and until I read this thread I didn't know that the highlights and other changes are saved in a different file (I haven't opened my files in a different application so far).

Therefore I tried Xournal and it's a lot better software, at least for my needs. It allows me to change and keep whichever colour I want for my highlights and I don't have to switch to highlight tool every time I want to highlight something...

However, there are two issues I am stuck with by using Xournal. First is that the lines are not narrow and you have to try pretty hard by using mouse to highlight what you actually want...

The second (probably lame ) question is, why I cannot save the file in the original .pdf but just in .xor file? It makes the whole program useless since I need to read the files on other computers with Window$ as well...

Thanks for your help/suggestions!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

In xournal you can save to the original pdf... just do file->export to pdf or press Ctrl-E, then select your original file and save over it.

If you're saving frequently, maybe it'd be better if you saved in the default file and then at end of session, export to pdf; that way you could just ctrl-s to save periodically and then export the document with all of its changes to overwrite your original file.

Beans

I just started using Xournal after reading this thread. I like it.

I only wish you had the option to make straight lines, though it doesn't bother me too much. IRL, I can't make a straight line, either! lol. So, maybe it looks more natural and easier to stand out, because it's not as squared and rigid as the rest of the .pdf. But still, sometimes I end up undoing the highlight three times before it's not too messed up.

They could make a feature so that it's like most other programs; when you press ctrl while highlighting, it forces a straight line up or down. Kind of like AutoCAD"s Ortho (if I remember correctly) command, but Openoffice word does this as well when drawing a line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Thanks for introducing me to Xournal. I too have been looking for the perfect pdf editor.
    I tried OOo import, but it just doesn't work for me...the import never looked like the original. PDFEdit uses 100% of my CPU, is very slow and sometimes crashes. Flpsed is hard to work with.
    I've had good luck with inkscape, but I can only edit one page at a time (is there a way to do more?)

Xournal almost does it for me, it works fast and well, but it doesn't allow for rearranging or adding pages to the pdf and is missing what I consider to be the killer feature...it doesn't import images (signatures).

The only application I've been able to find that does what I want it to is a commercial product, Qoppa's PDF Studio which does it all (and does it well), but it's not free software. At this point with Linux, it's either that or using the command line and multiple applications to get the same features.

Larry

Beans

You're welcome. The best thing to do, is to go to their sites and let them know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by captainron042 View Post
    I only wish you had the option to make straight lines, though it doesn't bother me too much. IRL, I can't make a straight line, either! lol. So, maybe it looks more natural and easier to stand out, because it's not as squared and rigid as the rest of the .pdf. But still, sometimes I end up undoing the highlight three times before it's not too messed up.

They could make a feature so that it's like most other programs; when you press ctrl while highlighting, it forces a straight line up or down. Kind of like AutoCAD"s Ortho (if I remember correctly) command, but Openoffice word does this as well when drawing a line.
    Hold down the shift key to force a straight line. You need to enable this by clicking the ruler icon. (Found this after a few tries; also, this combination is similar to GIMP's.)
    Last edited by thomasyen; January 24th, 2011 at 04:13 AM.
    Support scientific research with otherwise unused processing cycles: http://boinc.berkeley.edu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasyen View Post
    Hold down the shift key to force a straight line. You need to enable this by clicking the ruler icon. (Found this after a few tries; also, this combination is similar to GIMP's.)
    thank you so so much! I was looking for just that feature. Thank you infinitely.

Beans

I just did a lot of highlighting in Okular as the standard PDF reader in ubuntu doesn't support this. I then find out that the changes doesn't save with the PDF file, which is a huge problem when you work cross-platform. I tried Xournal too, but same problem.

This is a common feature in windows PDF readers (Foxit reader, Adobe Reader, Nitro PDF reader), can it be true that there's no FOSS alternative ?

I just tried to install adobe reader 8.0 from adobes website. Seems like I can't add the highlighting feature to the toolbar. Instead of accepting my settings as I try to press OK, the menu just scroll randomly till it reaches the bottom.
    Last edited by decon; October 24th, 2011 at 08:23 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast