Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Edit PDF files and add highlighting and comments

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Edit PDF files and add highlighting and comments

Quote Originally Posted by fsando View Post
    I tried it before and gave up on it. Just tried it again after your post and it's too broken for me. Tried a simple yellow marking just to test how it'd look in other viewers but it made the marking black and then crashed so I had to force quit it. This is still very much alpha.
    That's exactly what happened to me yesterday when I was simply trying to highlight one sentence and write a small text in a pdf file. I'm a strong supporter of free and open software so I respect PDFEdit's intentions, but it's just too buggy for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Mendeley is driving me crazy. I think I'm going to give up but the pdf highlight issue??? I think I will use another reference manager to keep track of my refs (and export citations, tag pdfs, etc.) but still use mendeley by just opening one file at a time, highlighting and exporting pdf with my highlights.

AAAARRGHHHHHHHHH.....

Beans

So what is the recommended program to highlight pdf in ubuntu?
    I have seen many options cited, but all seem to have detractors.

Beans
    Distro

Pdf highlighting turned out to be surprisingly difficult when I switched to Ubuntu from Window$ recently.

I have searched and read on this forum quite a bit and tried various. I had settled on Mendeley. It does the highlighting thing well enough. However, it's behavior in general as a reference manager is too erratic and buggy. It began to drive me nuts when I tried to work a lot of .pdf files into it. So, I think I'm quitting it.

I wasn't really happy with any other option, though Okular seemed close enough. The problem I had with Okular was that it seemed like I had to select the highlight tool every single time I want to highlight a new thing in the same file. I haven't heard anyone else report this problem, so maybe it's me.

I'm really dying to have a decent all-in-one opensource linux reference manager + pdf annotator. But I will probably have to divide those tasks between different software. As for the former, I've reduced it to Bibus, JabRef, and Referencer, and currently trying those out.

Let me know if you discover anything...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kokoshmusun View Post
    The problem I had with Okular was that it seemed like I had to select the highlight tool every single time I want to highlight a new thing in the same file. I haven't heard anyone else report this problem, so maybe it's me.
    Let me know if you discover anything...
    Yup that's how it is.

I too looked all over the place for that, didn't find anything. Now I highlight pdfs anymore. I make comments in external documents. There simply isn't any decent tool for pdf editing in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

PDF-XChange Viewer in Wine is the least bad option I've found for PDF reading and annotation. The following worked well enough for me:

1. Install Wine
    2. Download PDF-XChange Viewer and install it using Wine.
    3. Save the following script somewhere like ~/bin/open-with-pdfviewer and make it executable:
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      wine "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDFXCview.exe" "$(winepath -w "$1")" & disown
      exit
    4. Right-click on any PDF, click on Properties -> Open With -> Add, and select the script as the default application to open PDF documents.

I use this arrangement daily on multiple computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRat33 View Post
    I'm a very big fan and supporter of open source software and have converted as many of my friends as possible. Unfortunately, regarding PDF editing tools for researchers who need to add highlighting and comments, I've found nothing better. I can only hope the open source community can provide a solution. I'll be glad to participate.
    I share the sentiment. I probably won't be paying for software any time soon (until Steam comes out on Linux!) but at least they make a Linux version. That's a step in the right direction. I can't blame them for filling a sore gap in open source. But I am content to work around it until there is an open source option.

How about Xournal? If you have a tablet that is.

Beans

I have tried PDF Editor. It didn't convince me. I used Xchange-Viewer on a windows machine, I know that program works very well. But I dont' want to install wine on the ubuntu machine.
    I'm starting to believe there is no really a good option for this. Good as it just works. Every thing that has been mentioned on this thread has someone mentioning a problem about it.

Beans
    Distro

Is there a disadvantage of using wine? I've never used wine and want to. If not wine, then the best is probably Okular, with the small glitch of having to press a key for every new highlight. And then mendeley also works well as highlighter, but not manager. Well, I love linux, so I will have to accept these glitches.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I doubt there is any big disadvantages while using Wine. I use it plenty on my home computer. You won't install tons of deps as you do if you would choose to install a KDE (Qt) app, and some softwares even run more efficient in Wine than on Windows natively. Then of course some softwares run horribly.

Xournal is the one I have been using so far to highlight and comment. It's doesn't do the neat bubbles as in Acrobat, but it works alright for me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast