Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring released

Beans

Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring released

Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring released

Mandriva is proud to announce the release of its latest distribution, Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring. This new release brings features like full support for the Asus Eee, easy synchronization with Windows Mobile 5 and later, Blackberry, and Nokia devices, a new parental control utility, the Elisa multimedia center, Codeina for easy installation of necessary media codecs, PulseAudio by default and much more. Software updates include KDE 3.5.9 (with 4.0.2 available from the official repositories), GNOME 2.22, OpenOffice.org 2.4, Linux kernel 2.6.24.4, X.org 7.3, Compiz 0.7, and more.

If you just can't wait, you can download the One (live / install CD) or Free (traditional installer, 100% free / open source software) editions of Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring right here. Direct BitTorrent download links can be found here, as the mirrors are likely to be overloaded for several days. The commercial edition, Powerpack, featuring exclusive commercial applications, is available immediately for direct download, and can be pre-ordered in boxed form (delivery will begin in two weeks), at the Mandriva Store. A large amount of information on the new release is also available at the Mandriva Wiki:

Main 2008 Spring page
    2008 Spring Release Tour: a graphical guide to what's new in 2008 Spring
    2008 Spring Release Notes
    2008 Spring Errata
    2008 Spring Reviewer's Guide: a useful read if you plan to review 2008 Spring
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring released

If you install the One version and decide later you want Powerpack can you buy and install Powerback without having to reinstall from scratch?

Beans

hmmm... I still have a powerpack subscription from when I tried 2008.0
    But when I go to my torrents I only see the torrent for 2008.1 64bit version available (I need the 32bit).

Beans

antman: we'll get it up soon, sorry about that.

trmiv: what you can do is add the Powerpack disc as a repository and then install the extra packages from it. That's probably the easiest thing to do.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    antman: we'll get it up soon, sorry about that.
    It's up...

I'll start the download tonight and install tomorrow and try it out. It sounds like a good release.
    Last edited by Antman; April 9th, 2008 at 04:34 PM.

Beans

Cool, I might give it a try if Hardy turns out to be crap
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm already downloading the Free DVD.
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've just finished downloading GNOME One(actually 5 hours ago) and I must say, I'm really impressed with it. All I can really say is this either Mandriva Free 2008 DVD KDE install with all updates sucks or Mandriva Gnome One 2008.1 just kicks that much ***. Can I say that? In all seriousness I don't know if its a Gnome Vs. KDE thing or the DEVS were just able to improve it that much. I'm still waiting on an email from the mandriva store before I buy the PowerPack, it truly is a wonderful system.

Just in case you're wondering what is so awesome about 2008.1(Gnome One)

Well for starters A LIVE CD was able to power up my bluetooth device and connect to my RAZR, I just thought that was truly amazing.

2. I thought that it ran pretty fast, for LIVE CD standards.
    3. The new-look-theme whatever you want to call it just looks awesome.
    4. Comparing it to 2008 KDE which im currently on well, its SIMPLISTIC which i guess is a gnome attribute, but it feels less cluttered and snappier I can't even describe it that well
    5. Oh and the biggest OH too, my HP QUICKPLAY KEYS actually work, all of them.

Beans

I'm assuming Mandriva is still an RPM based system? I haven't used it since Mandrake 7.x.

If it is RPM based I'll stay far away.
    Registered Linux User # 437006
    http://sidux.com/ - K Desktop Environment (Debian Sid)
    MasterShaper - Network traffic under control

Currently listening to

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrilhall View Post
    I'm assuming Mandriva is still an RPM based system? I haven't used it since Mandrake 7.x.

If it is RPM based I'll stay far away.
    Yes, it's still RPM based. But RPM's are NOT a problem anymore. Systems do improve over time ya' know.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast