Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fedora is the new ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

fedora is the new ubuntu

Did anyone else read this article and what do you think?
    http://wingolog.org/archives/2008/04...the-new-ubuntu

Beans

Re: fedora is the new ubuntu

Mandrake put me off red hat based distros.

I for one won't go back.
    Hmmm...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatz View Post
    Mandrake put me off red hat based distros.

I for one won't go back.
    That's too bad... Mandrake struggled badly near the end of its life, but the new Mandriva, Fedora and OpenSuse are so much better and are developing at an incredible pace. Mandriva has the most user-friendly GUI tools, OpenSuse has the simplest package management (via build service and one-click install) even if it isn't the fastest, and Fedora pulls together the latest and greatest free software in an easy to use environment (note: easy to use in this case does NOT mean n00b friendly... it reinforces good linux habits, not bad windows ones).

I'm not saying that you should be using those distributions, but the issues perceived about them (especially in the Debian/Ubuntu community) are extremely outdated and mostly wrong now, and it would be nice for people to recognize the fine work that is going on elsewhere in the linux world.
    Last edited by igknighted; April 8th, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    That's too bad... Mandrake struggled badly near the end of its life, but the new Mandriva, Fedora and OpenSuse are so much better and are developing at an incredible pace. Mandriva has the most user-friendly GUI tools, OpenSuse has the simplest package management (via build service and one-click install) even if it isn't the fastest, and Fedora pulls together the latest and greatest free software in an easy to use environment (note: easy to use in this case does NOT mean n00b friendly... it reinforces good linux habits, not bad windows ones).

I'm not saying that you should be using those distributions, but the issues perceived about them (especially in the Debian/Ubuntu community are extremely outdated and mostly wrong now, and it would be nice for people to recognize the fine work that is going on elsewhere in the linux world.
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post

I'm not saying that you should be using those distributions, but the issues perceived about them (especially in the Debian/Ubuntu community) are extremely outdated and mostly wrong now, and it would be nice for people to recognize the fine work that is going on elsewhere in the linux world.
    I agree, and Fedora finally got rid of Pirut.

Beans

Have you ever used mandriva?

No good for a new user unless you pay them $. This isn't the way to go

I hate mand* i used it for 3 years and i'll never go back.
    Hmmm...

Beans

Eh, Mandriva 2008 is pretty good actually for the most part.
    Its package manager has got a lot better, of course its still not synaptic but its decent none the less.
    I ran Mandriva one 2008 for some time, it was actually quite decent.
    My biggest beef with Fedora is YUM, gah I hate it!
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

But it's never gonna replace Ubuntu !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatz View Post
    Have you ever used mandriva?

No good for a new user unless you pay them $. This isn't the way to go

I hate mand* i used it for 3 years and i'll never go back.
    This is not true. The only software restricted to paying users is commercial software that could not legally be released to non paying users in any case. All free / open source software in Mandriva, and all non-free software that can legally be redistributed to anybody, is available to anyone free of charge.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    This is not true. The only software restricted to paying users is commercial software that could not legally be released to non paying users in any case. All free / open source software in Mandriva, and all non-free software that can legally be redistributed to anybody, is available to anyone free of charge.
    Absolutely useless for a new user as mandriva doesn't have flash, java, decent codecs in the repository's which are imperative for new users making the jump to linux.

How does this make linux "free" as a new user would have to pay to use the operating system (yes we all know how to compile, use easy urpmi etc but i'm talking about new users). Its just a sales ploy to generate revenue.

In my opinion distros like mandriva, xandros, Linsphere, LinuxXP (LOL) hold linux and its philosophy back.
    Last edited by Tomatz; April 9th, 2008 at 01:11 PM.
    Hmmm...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast