Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any English users out there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Any English users out there?

G'day, didn't know where to post this so I posted here, I'm and Australian, moving to England with my girlfriend (from Bristol) for a year or two and I just wanted to guage the number of Linux users from England and to ask some questions so im hoping someone out there can help me?

1) how big is linux over there?
    2) Any Linux based educational courses? Like IT etc or just general learning?
    3) Where is a good place to live?
    4) Do you know of any good Aussie style pubs over there?

Any answers would be great, and I'm hoping there are lots of nice English people who can help me out
    BRING BACK TEH PONIES!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Any English users out there?

Plenty of English and Scots here . Don't think I've seen any Welsh actually.

How big is Linux here? Hmm not sure....it's getting more attention though, thanks to Ubuntu. I try to do my part locally as well.

Linux courses? I did a Google search and there appear to be plenty, would be shocking if there wasn't.

Where is a good place to live? Well, if you have the money - London. Why? Cos it's London, there's an unlimited amount of things you can do, plus those damn Aussie bars are all in London.

Nathan

Beans

/me grumbles about how people call the country "England" when it is currently "United Kingdom".

I can't admit to knowing what an Australian pub would even look like (sorry).
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I know of a Welsh user (Linux & the forums )

And I think the eeePC helps with Linux getting "bigger"

Also I'm a Linux user, and I live in the UK In case you didn't already know!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I'm British (Scots), so I don't really fit your request. However I use Linux in England.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm spreading the good word of linux in london. Well, I'm impressing my friends with ubuntu anyway. As for aussie pubs, there's loads of walkabout pubs in london, and something called the church where lots of aussies and kiwis go. (Not the religious church, it's a bar where people gather on sunday afternoon's to get pissed!)
    We are building the future, and the future is called Ubuntu

Beans

I'm also from the UK, gotta say linux isn't so big around here, but I'm trying to change that(burnt about 20 liveCD for gutsy, gonna stick them in the local libary machines when they boot them tomorrow, nice suprise for them -- leave a note explaining it though, don't want to have people confused).

I've also done my stay in curry's explaining to people how, simply by switching to linux they can save £50+(£75+ for vista) off their computers prices, and with no lack in functionality.

Beans

Thinking about it, our rugby team must know of some (considering 2 of them are from there).
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    /me grumbles about how people call the country "England" when it is currently "United Kingdom".

I can't admit to knowing what an Australian pub would even look like (sorry).

Haha. It could've been more inclusive I guess, but maybe he IS actually moving to England.

Nathan

P.S. Wicked Scottish name you got there Bruce. My first name is Hebrew and my last name Irish....hmmm.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; April 10th, 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Haha. It could've been more inclusive I guess, but maybe he IS actually moving to England.

Nathan
    I realise that, but it still doesn't change the name of the country (yet).

Sydney's the biggest city of Victoria. There we go.
    A Fedora user

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast