Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mimicking "Windows" Mouse Sensitivity

Beans

Mimicking "Windows" Mouse Sensitivity

When disabling mouse acceleration (xset m 0 0) on my Intellimouse 3.0, the sensitivity is very, very low.

The sensitivity slider has in the Mouse Preferences Window has NO effect at all, or I'm guessing it affects how much mouse acceleration you get (which I do not want)

I'm trying to make the full transition to Ubuntu, but this issue is really hampering any sort of competitive gaming (Warcraft 3, Starcraft, etc.)
    Windows users will understand what I mean by a higher sensitivity with no mouse acceleration (enhance pointer precision turned off)

Is there any way to fix this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mimicking "Windows" Mouse Sensitivity

I found a script that solved the problem
    But I don't know how to use it
    Please Help

Script:
    http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-men...06/000023.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rostamiani View Post
    I found a script that solved the problem
    But I don't know how to use it
    Please Help

Script:
    http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-men...06/000023.html
    Can anyone help ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

For high speed without any acceleration at all, you'd use something like "xset m 5 1", so that the speed is 5× as fast and the "precision zone" where it drops to 1 pixel accuracy is only 1 pixel wide.

X Windows does not normally use real acceleration as I understand it. It just has these two speeds (slow for moving one pixel at a time, and fast which is just a multiplier times the slow speed), and the transition from one speed to the other is set by traveling more than a certain number of pixels. This is why the mouse is so jerky under Ubuntu. I read a good article about this once but I can't find it anymore.

If you do "xset m 20 3" on a command line, you'll see a very exaggerated demonstration of how this works. In this case, "acceleration" is 20x, and "threshold" is 3 pixels, so if you move slowly, you can point at individual pixels, but if you move quickly, it jumps by 20 pixels instead. Totally useless, and this is why the default acceleration sucks.

I think the "Sensitivity" and "Acceleration" settings in Gnome Mouse Preferences do something different? Maybe "Acceleration" maps to xset's "acceleration", and "Sensitivity" maps to xset's "threshold"? The Gnome help screen uses these terms in a different way:

Table 8-15 Mouse Motion Preferences

• Acceleration
      • Use the slider to specify the speed at which your mouse pointer moves on your screen when you move your mouse.

• Sensitivity
      • Use the slider to specify how sensitive your mouse pointer is to movements of your mouse. (this seems to be the same as "threshold" in xset)

• Threshold
      • Use the slider to specify the distance that you must move an item before the move action is interpreted as a drag-and-drop action. (so "threshold" is unrelated to the mouse movement itself)

However, there appears to be an actual smooth acceleration built in that isn't used by default:

mouse The m option controls the mouse parameters; it may be abbrevi‐
    ated to ’m’. The parameters for the mouse are ‘acceleration’
    and ‘threshold’. The acceleration can be specified as an inte‐
    ger, or as a simple fraction. The mouse, or whatever pointer
    the machine is connected to, will go ‘acceleration’ times as
    fast when it travels more than ‘threshold’ pixels in a short
    time. This way, the mouse can be used for precise alignment
    when it is moved slowly, yet it can be set to travel across the
    screen in a flick of the wrist when desired. One or both
    parameters for the m option can be omitted, but if only one is
    given, it will be interpreted as the acceleration. If no
    parameters or the flag ’default’ is used, the system defaults
    will be set.

If the ‘threshold’ parameter is provided and 0, the ‘accelera‐
    tion’ parameter will be used in the exponent of a more natural
    and continous formula
    , giving precise control for slow motion
    but big reach for fast motion, and a progresive transition for
    motions in between
    . Recommended ‘acceleration’ value in this case is 3/2 to 2, but not limited to that range.
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...n1/xset.1.html

When I use "xset m 11/8 0" I get a pretty usable smoothly-accelerating mouse. Of course, this is not nearly sensitive enough for my touchpad. Sigh.
    Last edited by Endolith; May 6th, 2009 at 02:53 AM.
    "Please remember to do things the Ubuntu way. There is always more than one solution to a problem, choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user. ... Try to think as a green user and choose the simplest solution." — Code of Conduct

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can't quite seem to get my mouse at a decent setting either. It just doesn't seem to move like it should. For example, if I put the mouse pointer all the way to the left on my screen, then quickly flick my mouse to the right, the pointer just jumps around a little on the left side of the screen and doesn't end up far from where it started. It seems that with such a quick motion it should end up on the right side of the screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AgentWD-40 View Post
    I can't quite seem to get my mouse at a decent setting either. It just doesn't seem to move like it should. For example, if I put the mouse pointer all the way to the left on my screen, then quickly flick my mouse to the right, the pointer just jumps around a little on the left side of the screen and doesn't end up far from where it started. It seems that with such a quick motion it should end up on the right side of the screen.
    I just tried what you described, starting upper left with a quick flick to the right. It works as expected, smooth and not jitter.

However, I use a Logitech TrackMan Wheel...so, maybe that's why?

I could take a screenshot of my settings in System>Preferences>Mouse for you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by StarryTripper View Post
    I just tried what you described, starting upper left with a quick flick to the right. It works as expected, smooth and not jitter.

However, I use a Logitech TrackMan Wheel...so, maybe that's why?

I could take a screenshot of my settings in System>Preferences>Mouse for you.
    Could you please show me what your settings look like? Maybe it has something to do with my mouse being so old. It's just a blue 3-button Logitech (middle button being the scroll wheel) and it's about 7-8 years old. Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AgentWD-40 View Post
    Could you please show me what your settings look like? Maybe it has something to do with my mouse being so old. It's just a blue 3-button Logitech (middle button being the scroll wheel) and it's about 7-8 years old. Thank you!
    Here you go, I attached it!

I bet there's a way to just get the numbers from a config, but I don't know where/how.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It would be nice if they made the x server mouse code exactly the same as the windows to allow the acceleration to be removed along with options for changing the mouse refresh rate from 125 250 500 in the gui.

In the mean time see if its possible to use DGA mouse with wine. I tend to use DGA mouse input for all linux games that support it. If wine has support for it as well then it should remove the mouse acceleration.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by StarryTripper View Post
    Here you go, I attached it!

I bet there's a way to just get the numbers from a config, but I don't know where/how.
    Thank you for uploading that image. My settings look almost identical to what you have. I've set up Ubuntu 8.10 on PCs for a few other people, but none of them have had this same problem. It's pretty strange. Could it have something to do with my motherboard/chipset (DFI LanParty UT) or USB? I've tried swapping USB ports, but that didn't help any. Somebody suggested booting a Fedora Core CD to see if the same thing happens there. I'm also tempted to just buy a new mouse for the sake of troubleshooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast