Thread: What is loaded as default?

Beans
    Hidden!

What is loaded as default?

Is Windows or Ubuntu loaded as default by the boot loader?
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Re: What is loaded as default?

depends, mostly though ubuntu boots by default.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can choose it...
    I think Linux is loaded by default...

You can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to choose the default OS loaded by the bootloader...

Hope it will help
    "We find ourselves in the same old mess
    Singin' Drunken Lullabies"

Registered Linux user #478812!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    Is Windows or Ubuntu loaded as default by the boot loader?
    Windows is on your machine and then you install Ubuntu.
    "Grub" will load Ubuntu by default, but it can be edited so Windows is the default.

Grub (by default) gives you 10 seconds to make the change to load Windows if you wish.

Beans
    Hidden!

I thought it would probably be Ubuntu. Thats the default for a traditional install of Grub. However, I thought that Wubi may be modifying the Windows boot loader and have Window as the default.

If I have to explain to a potential Linux user about modifying the boot loader to make Windows the default, they may not want to try it
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    I thought it would probably be Ubuntu. Thats the default for a traditional install of Grub. However, I thought that Wubi may be modifying the Windows boot loader and have Window as the default.

If I have to explain to a potential Linux user about modifying the boot loader to make Windows the default, they may not want to try it
    If you use Wubi, it's NOT a problem... it installs Ubuntu into Windows as if it was just another program.

From the website Wubi:

Wubi is a Ubuntu installer for Windows users that will bring you into the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other application. If you heard about Linux and Ubuntu, if you wanted to try them but you were afraid, Wubi is for you.

Wubi is Safe

It does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader.

Wubi is Simple

Just run the installer, no need to burn a CD.

Wubi is Discrete

Wubi keeps most of the files in one folder, and If you do not like, you can simply uninstall it.

Wubi is Free

Wubi (like Ubuntu) is free as in beer and as in freedom. You will get this part later on, the important thing now is that it costs absolutely nothing, it is our gift to you...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

With Wubi, the default is Windows unless you change it yourself.