Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matlab 7 R14.3 install on Ubuntu 32bit

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Matlab 7 R14.3 install on Ubuntu 32bit

What versin are you running? 7.0.1 is R14SP1 and you refered to R14SP3 which is 7.1. The executable script will be in $MATLAB/bin. Run $MATLAB/install_matlab and accept all of the defaults (press enter). See if that solves your script creation problem (stuff missing in bin and etc).

As for the xsetup error in the previous post, it means exactly what it says. It was unable to execute xsetup. Did you try with the -t flag? You will want to run sudo install instead a su then install to get rid of that error. Also make sure you are not executing directly on the cd-rom but from within the installation directory.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by n0ah420
    What versin are you running? 7.0.1 is R14SP1 and you refered to R14SP3 which is 7.1. The executable script will be in $MATLAB/bin. Run $MATLAB/install_matlab and accept all of the defaults (press enter). See if that solves your script creation problem (stuff missing in bin and etc).

As for the xsetup error in the previous post, it means exactly what it says. It was unable to execute xsetup. Did you try with the -t flag? You will want to run sudo install instead a su then install to get rid of that error. Also make sure you are not executing directly on the cd-rom but from within the installation directory.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot. I manged to install matlab succesfully. the verison is 7.1 R14-SP3. it was a typo in my last post.

Now when I am trying a simple plot command, it returns segmentation violation error.
    also i tried to start matlab using matlab -check_malloc as suggested somewhere in mathworks...but i still get eh segmentation violation error....

there are many commands missing from matlab too... one such is the command 'why' .... help ????

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

It should not seg fault as I am running that version on my ubuntu laptop. To get your command functionality back you may want to try this:

Code:
    >> restoredefaultpath;matlabrc
    >> save path
    >> rehash toolboxcache
    Also make sure you don't have any extra pathdef.m files on your path (as well as any modified start files). if you are still having issues I would suggest contacting MATLAB support as they are very helpful in solving these issues.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks a lot.
    That solved it.. however ;;;;;;;;;;;;

There were many other problems... no rehash command found, savepath was not working, matlabrc not found etc....

here is how i solved the problems....

1. matlabrc.m and pathdef.m were not in $matlab/toolbox/local
    they were in
    Code:
    $matlab/toolbox/local/template !!!
    I copied those to
    Code:
    $matlab/toolbox/local
    2. there was nothing in pathdef.m so i was getting error as to not able to set path and some colordef not working etc... but without failing to launch matlab. then i tried those (previous post).

savepath could not be used because of permission error.

3. login as root. using su

and then lanuch matlab

Code:
    >> restoredefaultpath ; matlabrc
    >> savepath
    4. exit and relogin as user and lauch matlab.

warnings related to toolbox cache...this happens when a new verison is installed. so should appear only at the first launch. the data from this launch will be saved automatically for future sessions until a new version is installed.

5. restart matlab and bingo.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

No problem. Looks like it was just a bad initial install as all of those actions should have been done for you by the installer. Glad you are up and running.

Beans
    Distro

No problem. Looks like it was just a bad initial install as all of those actions should have been done for you by the installer. Glad you are up and running.
    Quite possibly !!

Now thats its working, how can i get a lshortcut/link on a menu or on the gnome panel? i tried giving it using application menu editor. But its only good for the splash screen...
    ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

MATLAB needs to be attached to the terminal. Just click the run in terminal checkbox and you should be all set when creating the launcher. You can also give flags to MATLAB startup like:

Code:
    /path/to/matlab -nodesktop -nosplash
    This will launch MATLAB as a command prompt. The you can type:

Code:
    >> desktop
    if you need the gui.

Beans
    Distro

MATLAB needs to be attached to the terminal. Just click the run in terminal checkbox and you should be all set when creating the launcher. You can also give flags to MATLAB startup like:

Code:
    /path/to/matlab -nodesktop -nosplash
    This will launch MATLAB as a command prompt. The you can type:

Code:
    >> desktop
    if you need the gui.
    Thanks. that works !!! eventhough i have a terminal floating around....

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I have a new howto in place with some information collected from this thread. This essentially explains how I managed to install matlab 7.1R13 SP-3 in breezy.

I would like to acknowledge the info people have provided here and thanks a lot. please feel free to comment.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I just wanted to make an additional comment. I have learned that if you create a launcher with the following command:

Code:
    $MATLAB/bin/matlab -desktop
    You can launch the MATLAB without a terminal. You can read the launch options right out of the $MATLAB/bin/matlab script.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast