Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic elitist attitude

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Classic elitist attitude

"Consider gdebi, synaptic, and equivalent unnecessary GUI tools to be training wheels from your Ubuntu "child's play" introduction to Linux. When you were a child, childish tools and attitudes were normal. You are now using Debian, a distro for grown-ups. It's time to put away childish things."
    To me, it looks like the poster is simply being honest and freely speaks his mind. What's wrong with that? It's been old news for quite some time, that Debian is not for beginners, so why use it if one's not comfortable with its tools? I've not used Debian and tend to like GUIs, but agree with that poster anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    To me, it looks like the poster is simply being honest and freely speaks his mind. What's wrong with that? It's been old news for quite some time, that Debian is not for beginners, so why use it if one's not comfortable with its tools? I've not used Debian and tend to like GUIs, but agree with that poster anyway.
    Well. It's just that there is nothing childish about GUI tools. It's as simple as that. They may be restricting, in some cases, but to accuse someone of wanting to use a tool that fits the context of what he/she trying to do, is having a childish attitude; *that* is childish if anything.
    This holy war of whether GUI/CLI tools are "superior" to each other are also childish, at best. Use the most practical tool for the job, period.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jdhore View Post
    Perhaps, because 90% of Ubuntu users are using Ubuntu desktop where the OS holds your hand and wipes your a$$ for you...Basically, they were trying to say that the CLI is better and more efficient so you should learn it...Personally, i believe Debian has the right to be a bit elitist.
    Everything is relative. I found installing Etch on a G5 PPC a very easy experience, but if you compared it to an OpenBSD install, a Debian installer would be the one which "wipes your a***". Cracks me up.

Why is Debian wasting valuable developer time on a live installer when it has been proven time and again that cli is the only way to go? Why has the standard debian installer been "dumbed down" to the lowest common denominator as compared to say OpenBSD? Talk about lowering the floodgates with the standard debian installer!

Taking off my rhetorical-hat, this elite attitude about Debian is totally bogus. The smart ones are going to use it anyway, and I sincerely appreciate using your code.

I'll have to ask Theo what he thinks about Debian.

It's all relative .....
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    Well. It's just that there is nothing childish about GUI tools. It's as simple as that. They may be restricting, in some cases, but to accuse someone of wanting to use a tool that fits the context of what he/she trying to do, is having a childish attitude; *that* is childish if anything.
    This holy war of whether GUI/CLI tools are "superior" to each other are also childish, at best. Use the most practical tool for the job, period.
    There is nothing childish about GUI to you, but that poster had a different opinion. Are different opinions OK with you?
    I remember posting in a thread not long ago, where a new user expressed a wish, that Mozilla should provide step by step instructions on how to install Firefox 3 beta. I told that user he shouldn't need such instructions if he's testing beta software, which must have offended him a bit. He said he was a Windows expert and worked in IT.
    Anyway, I've nothing against GUI at all, but it's quite obvious you can't make everything available for everyone. There are countless Debian based distros with lots of GUI tools. Can you kindly explain why should someone insist on using the hardest one and ask for gui? Makes no sense to me at all.
    Lastly, certain individuals like to see wars all around. They'd tell you a war is raging between IE and Firefox, Windows and Linux, or Google and MS, while in reality, all of that is simple competition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    There is nothing childish about GUI to you, but that poster had a different opinion. Are different opinions OK with you?
    having a different opinion is fine, but belittling a method/person/thing is not. if he had said "i believe the cli to be the most efficient way of doing things in debian, and you really should learn it". that would be one thing. but...childish tools? i think not.
    Last edited by wolfen69; April 8th, 2008 at 03:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    well said.

Beans

I hate to be the devils advocate here (do i? not sure), but CLI tools are something you need to learn...what happens if X or GNOME breaks? If you don't know the CLI tools you start running around trying to figure out how to fix whatever you need to fix and needing ot do a bunch of googling and the like...If you know the tools, usually you'll just be like: "dammit" and then just do what you have to do and be done...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

you guys can all use your CLI web browser to goto ubuntu forums (or debian forums)...

i'll stick to my crappy GUI firefox.

Beans

Ok, I'm new to Linux, I haven't the foggiest how to program, I get SOME binary jokes, I seem to need help here with every second thing I do, I wasn't the nerd in school , I was the burnout pothead, I came here (to Ubuntu/Linux) out of curiosity. I stayed here because the OS kicks *** and in no small part because the people who have dragged me to this slightly higher plane of understanding were so bloody patient and friendly with me! In the roughly two weeks since I installed , I've brought 3 friends into the fold , who are loving it also.My point? If I met that dipshit or any like him I wonder would I still be here..probably not. Just an opinion not an attack..I'm sure he is just lovely in person

P.s Excuse grammar, I've been writing an essay all night and I couldn't be bothered.

Beans
    Distro

but CLI tools are something you need to learn...what happens if X or GNOME breaks?
    (in windows) what happens if your registry breaks? what happens if you get a virus that leaves your computer fubar? what happens when you cant install that printer cause they havnt written drivers for it yet? (get your wallet out and call me) the bottom line is, people will figure out a way, one way or the other. one does not have to be "l33t" to use linux anymore. sure it helps, but i always tell my customers (yes, i have linux customers) to go to the forums and ask for help. they have no problem with that. some people just get carried away with this whole computer thing. all people just want their computer to work. that's why i recommend linux. i myself use the command line alot, but not everyone feels the same. i respect that.

getting back to the original point of this thread, do what you do, and have a good time.
    (out of "breath")

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast