Thread: kernel driver not accessible in Virtualbox

Beans

kernel driver not accessible in Virtualbox

I am getting an error when trying to start a virtual machine of Kubuntu Hardy in Virtualbox: The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..
    VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).

What can I do about this?

Beans

Re: kernel driver not accessible in Virtualbox

I actually found out how to do this. All I had to do was to add myself to the group vboxusers, and then it finally worked!!

Beans

Hmm this is not working for me. I have gone to system -> administration -> users and groups. Then the manage groups button and the vboxusers group is my bottom group. I checked both root and my user but im still getting the above error.

I thought this worked more me in the past. Is there anything else i can try?

it works fine when i open in a terminal with sudo but i don't want to to that in the long run.

*** Update: After adding yourself to the vboxusers group as described above it is necessary to log out and the back in again.
    Last edited by zorkerz; May 19th, 2008 at 09:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm gettin' this error msg too... I've added vboxuser group to the user and still same error pops up...

is there any workaround here about this... why is this topic / thraad abandoned?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Looks like a new kernel blew it up. I ran VirtualBox as root and it gave me an error message in the terminal window saying that that there was not a kernel module available for the current kernel. Then it said to re-compile the kernel module using:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    That fixed things for me. You may need to have build-essentials installed to do the compile. I already had it so I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am also having the problem stated in the original post with virtualbox-ose

I checked I was in the vboxusers group, logged off and on again, even tried rebooting. Then re-installed virtualbox-ose and logged off and on again, still the same.

Any ideas?

Beans

I had the same problem when changing to the OSE version. In my case, the user was already in the vboxusers group, but the /dev/vboxdrv and /dev/vboxnetctl nodes had "root" as the group, not "vboxusers". Once I changed the group for those nodes to "vboxusers" it worked fine.