Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I use Leopard on VirtualBox?

Beans

Re: Can I use Leopard on VirtualBox?

Er.. is there any good answer as to whether it is possible or not to use VirtualBox or KVM to virtualize OS X?
    I have Leopard server hardware, but I want to install Ubuntu as the host OS, and have a Leopard server as a guest along with a few other Linux guests.

Is there technical means available to make that possible?
    Without using a non-server version of OS X, modifying it in any way, or using some hacked vmdk file...?

There should be no concern in this forum about the burden of compliance. If you bother to actually read the EULA and contact Apple, well, my legal advisors do so, and tell me it will be permissible to virtualize OS X, provided I use only the authorized OS software, obtain enough licenses, and run the virtual machine software on only Apple brand equipment, which is easy enough.

The issue is that either I don't know how to do it.. or it's not yet made possible by Open source software, which would be a shame....

See the section of the Leopard server EULA that states:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. A. Mac OS X Server Software. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Mac OS X Server software (the “Mac OS X Server Software”) on a single Apple-labeled computer. You may also install and use other copies of Mac OS X Server Software on the same Apple-labeled computer, provided that you acquire an individual and valid license from Apple for each of these other copies of Mac OS X Server Software. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Mac OS X Server Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. Please note that the Apple Software is supported only on Apple-labeled systems that meet the specified system requirements as indicated on the outside of the Mac OS X Server packaging.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I was going to say it's not possible and not legal, but with a quick google search I found this:
    http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2008/01...l-leopa-1.html
    So, as long as you have Apple hardware and a valid licence it appears to be ok according to Apple to run a virtualized leopard in vmware.
    But would vmware running in linux know that it is running on genuine apple hardware? In the blog they only talk about vmware fusion, which seems to be the mac version...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    Illigal, as I first thought. And Ubuntu is running on a non-Apple Intel PC?
    Not if you are doing it on Apple hardware...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ahem... it IS possible:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/in.../Vmware_how_to

and more than that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zd4ZKSaT8

Quite legal if you BUY it. (you Americans can buy it if you want , i wont )

I really want to try it, to talk about it on a site that i build.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by simonbanyard View Post
    Not if you are doing it on Apple hardware...
    If it is Intel, it works... and it must have a patch btw. check out my last post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    No, you cannot... there may be a way but it is illigal and not to be disucssed on these forums.

Sorry, I don't get it. Why is it illegal ?
    I have a genuine windows CD and I've installed it using a virtual box on Ubuntu ?
    Is it illegal too ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, it's an End-User License Agreement issue.

Windows XP can legally be virtualized by any software. Enjoi!

Windows Vista Home (Basic & Premium) cannot legally be virtualized (because of a clause in the EULA). To virtualize Vista, you have to get Ultimate, Business, or Enterprise. Not sure about Starter...

OS X can only legally be used on Apple hardware (as stated in the End-User License Agreement). This means you can legally virtualize OS X on a Mac (say you boot windeuce or Linux on an Apple computer you could legally virtualize OS X).

That being said, I wish VirtualBox would support virtualizing OS X within a non-Apple operating system seeing as when done on a Mac, it's quite legal
    My LAMPP: http://delltuxlamp.no-ip.org
    The Ubuntu install disc I use on my Everex StepNote laptop: http://www.fitzenreiter.de/averatec/index-e.htm
    Get dropbox!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic_lord View Post
    If it is Intel, it works... and it must have a patch btw. check out my last post.
    That's illegal still, though. The EFI chip is what's keeping everybody out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kapitän Rotbart View Post
    Windows Vista Home (Basic & Premium) cannot legally be virtualized (because of a clause in the EULA). To virtualize Vista, you have to get Ultimate, Business, or Enterprise. Not sure about Starter...
    Actually, Microsoft has (unofficially) backpedaled on this restriction, although it is still part of the EULA for Vista Home. At one point, you could not activate Vista Home products if installed in a Virtual Machine. But now it WILL activate when installed in a VM -- with the exception of certain OEM versions (in my "I am not a Lawyer" opinion, this is a granting of permission).

As long as you only use it on the licensed hardware and do not install more copies than you have a license for, you should be on pretty solid ground virtualizing Vista Home products. Besides, telling end-users that they may not run the software in a VM on the licensed machine is about as ridiculous as telling them that they may not run the software while wearing a bathrobe and fuzzy slippers.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It extends a little further than the fuzzy slippers to be fair...

But because other editions of Vista can legally be virtualized, there's nothing preventing Sun Microsystems from releasing guest additions for Vista in a VirtualBox.

A EULA clause won't stop most users from doing it. Basically it's unsupported, so you couldn't expect any hardware help from tech support. Fuzzy slippers won't prevent the tech support from helping you though (mind you anyone who can navigate these forums shouldn't need tech support). Seeing as we're talking about a DRM operating system, it wouldn't surprise me if there would be workarounds to get it to work.

Also there's quite a difference between what can feasibly be done and what can legally be done...unless you get caught and charged for piracy laws or whatever, or if you live in a country where none of this is really enforced on end-users, as an end-user you could pretty much get away with violating any EULA and not worry too much about it.

I would like to see guest additions for OS X in VirtualBox on the basis that if it's done on Apple hardware it would be legal...
    My LAMPP: http://delltuxlamp.no-ip.org
    The Ubuntu install disc I use on my Everex StepNote laptop: http://www.fitzenreiter.de/averatec/index-e.htm
    Get dropbox!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast