Thread: Network between host and guest?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Network between host and guest?

Hi.

Is there a straight forward way to ping a guest VirtualBox machine from my main host OS?

For example. I setup a manual IP address on my host and guest OS's. What network adapters could be used?

I'd also like to try something like this: Send messages between 2 Ubuntu PCs (Net Send Style)

Thank you.
    Last edited by Rytron; July 19th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans

Re: Network between host and guest?

By default the VM should be configured with NAT. You will either need to do some port forwarding to make what you want to do possible.

Otherwise possibly the easiest method would be to switch your VM to bridged mode and select the appropriate local adapter on the host to bridge to. This will make the VM appear to connected directly to the same network as the bridged adapter. It would get it's own IP from DHCP or you could assign it one. You would then be able to access your VM from the host or any machine on the network by the IP it was assigned (either by you or DHCP).

You would then be able to try that askubuntu post.

Have fun!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Wink Re: Network between host and guest?

Quote Originally Posted by idlemind324 View Post
    By default the VM should be configured with NAT. You will either need to do some port forwarding to make what you want to do possible.

Otherwise possibly the easiest method would be to switch your VM to bridged mode and select the appropriate local adapter on the host to bridge to. This will make the VM appear to connected directly to the same network as the bridged adapter. It would get it's own IP from DHCP or you could assign it one. You would then be able to access your VM from the host or any machine on the network by the IP it was assigned (either by you or DHCP).

You would then be able to try that askubuntu post.

Have fun!
    Works fine. I had to be online for it to work. The wireless router was the middle man.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008

Beans

A better way is just to change the host network adapter to "host only", or create a second one of this type if you still want external access from the host. Then the host and guest will be on their own private network. Nothing to do with your home lan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    A better way is just to change the host network adapter to "host only", or create a second one of this type if you still want external access from the host. Then the host and guest will be on their own private network. Nothing to do with your home lan.
    Thanks for the tip.