Thread: cannot open vm in vmware server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question cannot open vm in vmware server

i have a windows xp vm that i created in vmware workstation 6, and i have recently removed workstation and installed vmware server as an alternative.. the problem that i am having is that when i try to open the xp vm under vmware server i get an error message saying:

Configuration file was created by a VMware product with more features than this version

is there any way that i can have vmware server open this vm without any issues?

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: cannot open vm in vmware server

It's a VM created for Player... ASAIK.

If it was then I've never able to open such in Server.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro

sorry i don't understand the first line of your response.. i created the vm in workstation and i want to open it in server if possible..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Matt26 View Post
    sorry i don't understand the first line of your response.. i created the vm in workstation and i want to open it in server if possible..
    I know that Server doesn't have the full features of Player, and likely not that of Workstation.

If someone knows differently, please let us know. Thanks.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Can you post the vmx file? You should be able to comment out certain options to get it work under the "lesser" vmware. I might be able to help you here.

Beans
    Distro

i was given a suggestion that vmware converter should be able to make my vm readable in vmware server, so i am going to try that first... i will post my vmx file here if that option doesn't work out. thanks.

Beans
    Distro

ok, so i tried the vmware converter application which gave me an error message when trying to read the vmx file for my vm- unable to determine guest operating system.. i looked up the error message and it might be related to permissions on the folder that my vm is located in, and i am accessing the vmx file in vmware converter from a separate windows xp pro PC using a mapped network drive to the folder on the ubuntu system that my vm files are in... so is there a way that i can verify that i have the full permissions necessary to complete this task?

Beans

I have the same issue and I am looking in to it now.

I notice that VMWare server lets you create VM's that are compatible with WorkStation 4.

I am in the process of creating a VM that is identical to the one I have in WorkStation 6 to see what is different in the .vmx file.

EDIT

Well I managed to edit the .vmx file enough to get the VM to show up as a tab in VMWare Server but got the following error message when I tried to boot it:

One or more of the disks used by this virtual machine was created by an unsupported version of VMware Server. To power on or upgrade the virtual machine, either remove the unsupported disk(s) or use a version of VMware Server that supports this version of disks. Below is a list of the disks and their reported versions.

Version 6 Ubuntu.vmdk
    EDIT

I also downloaded VMWare converter and it was unable to identify the operating system of my virtual machine (which was Ubuntu JeOS) ... it should work for Windows OS at the very least though I would assume ...
    Last edited by prickly; May 25th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by prickly View Post
    I have the same issue and I am looking in to it now.

I notice that VMWare server lets you create VM's that are compatible with WorkStation 4.

I am in the process of creating a VM that is identical to the one I have in WorkStation 6 to see what is different in the .vmx file.

EDIT

Well I managed to edit the .vmx file enough to get the VM to show up as a tab in VMWare Server but got the following error message when I tried to boot it:

EDIT

I also downloaded VMWare converter and it was unable to identify the operating system of my virtual machine (which was Ubuntu JeOS) ... it should work for Windows OS at the very least though I would assume ...
    i got mine to work by reinstalling workstation 6 (latest build) on my ubuntu system and using it to convert my vm to workstation version 5 so it would be compatible with server 1.5...