Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDEnlive or PiTivi?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

KDEnlive or PiTivi?

I amw working with both programs. I want to use one based on Gnome (PiTiVi) - however, I have been having some issues. Evreytime I try to move a clip to the timeline - PiTiVi shuts down and closes out.

KDenlive works fine but gets choppy. I ran system monitor when trying to work with each program and noticed that my CPU usage moves towards 100% when I work with the timeline.

Could it be my 1.4 gigahertz Athlon processor is not enough? Or does PiTiVi have problems?

Does anyone have experience with PiTiVi that can shed some light on this?
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans

Re: KDEnlive or PiTivi?

Just a heads up, Kdenlive is only a 0.5 beta release.
    Good news though, Kdenlive 0.6svn pre-beta is in the Hardy repositories and It is much more stable than the 0.5 beta. It is much more usable and the sound does not seem to get unsyched. I just made a 25 min video with it and all the sound came out great! And I made it on a 1.2mhz processor. It just takes a little longer to process the video. Memory is more of an issue than the processor.

I haven't used PiTiVi much so I can't comment on that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried both, and pivitvi kept crashing, so I tried kdenlive, and it seemed much better. Also consider open movie editor, and if you are up to the compiling, jahshaka.

If you are getting video from a camera, try kino.

otherwise, find a mac, and use imovie!
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for the update - I will try boosting my memory up a bit and see how that works.

I considered a Mac - but Ubuntu has all my favorite apps that I need. If KDEnlive keeps developing - it will compete with iMovie.

I just wish KDEnlive had a decent Gnome brother.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used to panic when I was using a kde app in gnome, but then I looked a system monitor, with 12 kde apps running (don't remember which ones) it was like 60% cou and 300mb ram (I have 2gigs) so I stopped caring.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans

The fact that good 'ol Cinellera is no longer in the repos as of Hardy was a major downer for me (and it removed it > : | ). It was by far the best video editing tool I've ever used (... that was free and open-source). PiTiVi looks like it could be good if it didn't crash every time I tried to use it.
    Last edited by klange; March 30th, 2008 at 05:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    The fact that good 'ol Cinellera is no longer in the repos as of Hardy was a major downer for me (and it removed it > ). It was by far the best video editing tool I've ever used (... that was free and open-source). PiTiVi looks like it could be good if it didn't crash every time I tried to use it.
    Cinelerra was never in the Ubuntu repos to begin with.

Check here
    http://cv.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php#hardy
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    The fact that good 'ol Cinellera is no longer in the repos as of Hardy was a major downer for me (and it removed it > ). It was by far the best video editing tool I've ever used (... that was free and open-source). PiTiVi looks like it could be good if it didn't crash every time I tried to use it.
    PiTiVi crashes for me too - is there a reason for this - because if you go to the forums and the development site - it seems a lot of people can use it - what causes it to barf in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Both are sooo close, but too unstable to be usable. It seems like a lot of these projects have trouble with the conflict between developers needs and preferences and joe user's needs and preferences imo. A good, rich, intuitive, and stable video editor for linux has been lacking for years....
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Genetically modified plants is like DRM for the worlds food supply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

PiTiVi used to work just fine. A few updates in the last couple of weeks and now it crashes every time I add a new clip to the timeline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast