Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media players: hunting for fatty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Media players: hunting for fatty

The choice of media player is mentioned fairly frequently on this forum. For your viewing pleasure, here are some numbers to occupy you to help spot the most heavyweight option. Bear in mind that whilst hard disk space is cheap, space on the LiveCD is at a major premium - every fraction of a megabyte needs to be argued for. I'm trying to include all the options here that I've noticed people on the forum suggesting

Remember, Rhythmbox is the baseline. Numbers for AMD64 Jaunty.

And I'm not discussing features or usability here - only size. Obviously a featureless player is a poor choice for default, even if it were tiny.

Code:
    Player     | Version                     | Disk space incl unique deps | Resident memory - playback, 19-track test library
    -----------+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
    Amarok     | 2:2.0.2mysql5.1.30-0ubuntu2 | 221 MiB                     | 145.5 MiB
    Banshee    | 1.4.3-4                     | 12.3 MiB                    | 61.8 MiB
    Exaile     | 0.2.14-0ubuntu2             | 78.2 MiB                    | 68 MiB
    Quod Libet | 2.0-1ubuntu2                | 9327 KiB                    | 56.6 MiB
    Rhythmbox  | 0.12.0-0ubuntu4             | 18.4 MiB                    | 50.1 MiB
    Songbird   | 1.1.1-0ubuntu1~fta4         | 42.6 MiB                    | 98.5 MiB
    So now you know!
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Media players: hunting for fatty

Given how featureful and complete Rhythmbox is, and that it has the lowest memory footprint, (and that it's dependencies are maybe more shared than some of the others, though i don't know for sure) I think it's the perfect choice. (Quod Libet, I admit, is a not bad second based on these stats, but not a player I have tested)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I prefer Quod Libet because of the tagging features and the clean interface. The only thing I miss from Banshee/Rhythmbox is Last.fm, but I can use the web interface for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It may be interesting to examine how the different players scale in memory use and responsiveness as collections grow.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    It may be interesting to examine how the different players scale in memory use and responsiveness as collections grow.
    I'm at the office, so don't have access to my music. hence 19-track collection (from archive.org)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mehall View Post
    Given how featureful and complete Rhythmbox is, and that it has the lowest memory footprint, (and that it's dependencies are maybe more shared than some of the others, though i don't know for sure) I think it's the perfect choice. (Quod Libet, I admit, is a not bad second based on these stats, but not a player I have tested)
    That's what "unique deps" means - excluding dependencies shared by all other apps on a Jaunty install, RB and its RB-only dependencies came out in third place. QL was smallest, Banshee second.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    That's what "unique deps" means - excluding dependencies shared by all other apps on a Jaunty install, RB and its RB-only dependencies came out in third place. QL was smallest, Banshee second.
    OTOH, Banshee has the highest number of dependencies of any audio player I know of.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

woops, missed the "unique" bit =[

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    I'm at the office, so don't have access to my music. hence 19-track collection (from archive.org)
    For what it's worth. 1 video, 941 podcasts and 7648 songs as well as mirage loaded in banshee leads to 78megs of memory used. I am very pleased, and it remains responsive
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    OTOH, Banshee has the highest number of dependencies of any audio player I know of.
    PURE AWESOMENESS comes at a (small) cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast