Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hubble Deep Field: The Most Important Image Ever Taken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Hubble Deep Field: The Most Important Image Ever Taken

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmey View Post
    That was an annoying waste of time.

Here I was expecting to see some life-changing images of space, and what I really got was a nigh-on a minute of a stupid American accent raping my ears, followed by the ultimate insult to my ability to see - That tub of lard spilling from one side of my screen to the other. Yeuch.
    Come on ! the fat guy is singing like 10 seg.

Beans

i was going to post this in that other thread, but you started this so i'll post it here lol

here's a podcast about it, it has the same picture i think?
    How Big is the Universe?
    http://www.astronomycast.com/astrono...-the-universe/
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This video without the dancing singing bear was on public television in a hour long special. The Music is by David Gilmore the guitar player for Pink Floyd. Not only is the universe expanding it is speeding up which was discovered by Edwin Hubble originally. So put on the Floyd and think about that for awhile, what could be making the universe speed up. Maybe as Stephen Hawking jokingly said we are on the edge of a Black Hole big enough to effect our whole universe. Maybe it's the dark matter and energy.
    Last edited by Bubba64; March 29th, 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Beans

W H O A ! !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Another factoid, at the center of our Galaxy there is a black hole estimated to be 20 million light years in either circumference or across I forget. Every galaxy appears to have a GIGANTIC black hole at it's center. Also our galaxy is flying through space at over 600 kilometers per second approximately. If anybody has a more accurate information or sees this to be incorrect please post the correct information I am going by my often failed memory.
    Last edited by Bubba64; March 29th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

That is definitly one of my favorite pictures, ever. Heck, I even gave my girlfriend a poster of it (she's a physics major and I get to hear all kinds of fun stuff about astrophysics from her). Every time I see it I can't help but wonder about everything beyond our miniscule little world, the questions and ideas it brings to mind are truely mind blowing. One of these days I want to get around to reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, and the book Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

I would also love to shake the hands of the guys who built the Hubble, and any of the other probes sent out by NASA (especially the Mars rovers) over the years. They do a truely amazing job of building these things and getting every last piece of science out of them that they can. Hubble has been up there 18 years already, and probably will be up there another 10 or so. The Mars rovers, which were originally planned to run for 90 sols in a worst case scenario, have been up there for 1506 and 1486 sols. In contrast, there are only 9 servers on netcraft that have been up longer than that (...and they're not between 36 and 250 million miles away in a very harsh environment, and they didn't land in a big bouncy balloon). I guess I just don't think these guys get the credit they deserve for making all this possible.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba64 View Post
    Another factoid, at the center of our Galaxy there is a black hole estimated to be 20 million light years in either circumference or across I forget. Every galaxy appears to have a GIGANTIC black hole at it's center. Also our galaxy is flying through space at over 600 kilometers per second approximately. If anybody has a more accurate information or sees this to be incorrect please post the correct information I am going by my often failed memory.
    Speed is relative. We are travelling at near lightspeed when compared to the quarks, and we are barely moving compared to the moon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffle View Post
    That is definitly one of my favorite pictures, ever. Heck, I even gave my girlfriend a poster of it (she's a physics major and I get to hear all kinds of fun stuff about astrophysics from her). Every time I see it I can't help but wonder about everything beyond our miniscule little world, the questions and ideas it brings to mind are truely mind blowing. One of these days I want to get around to reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, and the book Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

I would also love to shake the hands of the guys who built the Hubble, and any of the other probes sent out by NASA (especially the Mars rovers) over the years. They do a truely amazing job of building these things and getting every last piece of science out of them that they can. Hubble has been up there 18 years already, and probably will be up there another 10 or so. The Mars rovers, which were originally planned to run for 90 sols in a worst case scenario, have been up there for 1506 and 1486 sols. In contrast, there are only 9 servers on netcraft that have been up longer than that (...and they're not between 36 and 250 million miles away in a very harsh environment, and they didn't land in a big bouncy balloon). I guess I just don't think these guys get the credit they deserve for making all this possible.
    A girlfriend who is a physics major I am so jealous. Nothing is more attractive then a smart educated Women.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Speed is relative. We are traveling at near light speed when compared to the quarks, and we are barely moving compared to the moon.
    True like time is an invention of humans so is speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    You expected high def images of galaxies 78 billion light years away on YOUTUBE?
    I expected to see "The most important image ever taken", but got fatso.

Don't be calling anyone stupid, as that violates the CoC.
    Didn't mean to offend anyone. Didn't call the OP stupid either, sorry if that was interpreted. I think the accent is stupid. And I think the author of that vid might be stupid.
    Jimmey

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast