Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffer I/O error on device loop0

Buffer I/O error on device loop0

I understand this bug has already been reported.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/204133

I've been having trouble with wubi 8.04. I've had this machine for about a month, and after trying the daily build from the minefield about once a week, and i keep getting this error.

xxxxx (read-only filesystem)
    buffer I/O error on device loop0 logical block xxxx

at least that's as well as i can remember, not knowing any way to access a logfile.

it seems to install properly, reboots, and seems to be nearly finished loading when i get this error.

This is still present in Wubi 8.04 rev 459 using amd64 on real (cheap) hardware.

Additionally, while i doubt this is related, i've also been unable to install the Ubuntu 8.04 beta (x64) from the live cd to a real partition, as it hangs after the migration assistant.

Beans

Re: Buffer I/O error on device loop0

Can you try to run ntfs-3g.probe from a linux installation/livecd?

Beans

Hi,

just installed the release version of Hardy Heron, 64-bit version.

I get the same error messages. That is, I am able to log in to Ubuntu, but if I then try to "sudo init 1" from a terminal, I get these messages.

I'm completely new to Linux, so could you explain to me or point me in the right direction how I run the ntfs-3g.probe?

To explain why I would want to go to the terminal server, it is to install the nvidia driver for the graphics card on my laptop. This is a bit of a dealbreaker for me, because otherwise I won't be able to do any work in resolutions higher than 800x600.

Thanks.

Beans

You should boot from live CD and try to mount manually the windows partition then we can get the errors.

Also try running chkdsk /r from windows on the drive where you have Ubuntu.

Basically your ntfs partition is mounted read-only and that usually happens when there is fs corruption or after an unclean shutdown.

Beans

Hi,

I'm not sure why there would be problems with the NTFS partition, as while I'm working within Linux I'm not trying to access the NTFS partitions.

Anyway, I did do a chkdsk /r from windows, and found no errors on the ntfs partitions. I also did extensive sector checks which did not find any errors.

My thoughts would be there are either problems with the ext3 partition, or there is some other linux error.

How would I check this?

Beans

I'm having the same problem. I installed ubuntu 9.04 on Wubi, then I upgraded to 9.10. I didn't have this problem in 9.04, I updated and now I cant shutdown properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Buffer I/O error on device loop0

Same issue...
    Installed 9.04 on WUBI...
    Now after upgrading to 9.10, can't shut down properly and get the error message:
    Buffer I/O error on device loop0 and the system just hangs...
    Very disturbing...

Beans

I am fairly new to the linux os but I have had 9.04 installed for about 2 months on my dualboot (XP) laptop. I upgraded to 9.10 last night and have the same issue, My pc does not want to shut down properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello, got this error while shutting down on my gfs acer aspire one 150/ZG5 running 9.10 wubi. Currently doing a chkdsk on the xp partition, after will do a fsck on her karmic and will update shortly
    Last edited by f00fyf00f3r; October 31st, 2009 at 06:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No dices, but this thread is hella old, you should start a new one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast