Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Python or C++?

Beans

Re: Python or C++?

Well I would say python because mac,windows,and linux all support it so if your program is open source hey it helps all .

C++ yeah it is faster and can get some big stuff done but,let me tell you I am still using a dummy book to learn it and I am about to give up .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch6000 View Post
    Well I would say python because mac,windows,and linux all support it so if your program is open source hey it helps all .

C++ yeah it is faster and can get some big stuff done but,let me tell you I am still using a dummy book to learn it and I am about to give up .
    that c++ for dummies book is ridiculous. i didn't learn a single thing from it. don't give up, just try a different source.

as for the OP: i'd say python, since it's easier to learn yet has the same advanced features of c++. it's a lot harder to "just mess around" with c++.
    Programming is an art. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Beans

python

Beans

For goofing around, I'd suggest Python. It's generally easier to learn and you don't have to deal with more low-level stuff such as memory management.

Perhaps you could do C++ later, as it's not a bad language at all, just harder to learn.

For any better advice you could be more specific in what you're thinking of developing.

Beans

I don't think ease of learning should be a factor. Ease of use is more important and what you can do with it in a set amount of time.

Beans

For goofing around I think it be a factor, as it to me implies that you're not willing to learn complex syntax (as some say C++ has) and use a lot of time reading about "unnecessary" subjects such as memory management and other lower-level differences, there id between C++ and Python.

I get your point, but I don't understand why it shouldn't be a factor. If ease of learning isn't a factor why aren't we recommending Assembly (extreme example) as a first language?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nemooo View Post
    For goofing around I think it be a factor, as it to me implies that you're not willing to learn complex syntax (as some say C++ has) and use a lot of time reading about "unnecessary" subjects such as memory management and other lower-level differences, there id between C++ and Python.

I get your point, but I don't understand why it shouldn't be a factor. If ease of learning isn't a factor why aren't we recommending Assembly (extreme example) as a first language?
    This isn't a first language thread, and we have gone over that.

The OP's question (which isn't really the best question we get here) is more of a usability question. Of the two, Python would most likely be more useful. I have no idea what the OP already knows. The fact that C++ would take longer to learn, doesn't really matter to "fooling around", I just know one can do more in less time with Python than C++.

The fact that Python is faster to learn is just a bonus IMO, the real reason to learn it is that it would be more useful (for most things)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Forth will be even better for doing cool tricks, but is harder to learn and harder to program with (no protection from errors at all). But certainly you can do cool tricks in it.

C++, Java or any other "big, heavy-duty" language would certainly not be **my** choice to goof around. Other possible candidates (after Python and Forth) would be Lisp, Erlang, Prolog - the higher abstraction the better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My opinion may be biased (check avatar), but I think that in a 30 minutes session of both languages, you end doing more in python, since it's more intuitive.
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12