Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3DS MAX vs BLENDER

Beans

Re: 3DS MAX vs BLENDER

Quote Originally Posted by vboblinux View Post
    Blender uses python for scripting.
    Which is only a plus if you don't mind having to re-write your plugins every time someone in the python project decides to break backwards compatibility in the API. Yes it's nice to have a cross-platform plug-in language, but can't it be a stable language without insane developers that constantly break backwards compatibility?

Beans

Hi, I was just browsing when I saw this thread, and thought I'd weigh in on the issue.

I use both, and I know both programs well enough to produce good work in either. Max's animation tools are very good and much more mature than Blender's. But Blender is catching up rapidly. I've been using 2.46 RC3, and to be honest I don't see a need for Max anymore.

Unlike Max, in Blender I can model quickly without using scripts or making my own. In Max 9, I've had to make my own max-script and download other people's scripts and plugins, and even then the modeling process seems much more cumbersome. I haven't used Max 2008 yet, but I don't think I'll bother upgrading when my R9 license dies.

Like when you compare Maya to Max, there will be things one program is better at than the other. A lot of the time, which one seems better is only an opinion shared by a group of users. Like there are Blender-heads, there are 3DSMax fanatics, Maya gods, and so on. Which one is technically better than the other is often not nearly as important as how good you are at 3d modeling and animation. If you're a beginner, it won't matter what program you're using, you're going to suck. If you're a talented 3d modeler, animator, or 3d generalist, you will produce good work in most of these programs once you learn them.

That said, the most irritating issue I have with 3DS Max is the oppressive license. I use a computer at work and a computer at home. My Max license is tied to the system I have at work, which was bought by the school (I'm a student worker). Even though it's mine and was bought for me, I can't use it at home without trying some portable licensing thing which I haven't (and don't want to) bothered with. So I use Blender most of the time.

I like Blender more, and it's a simple friendly solution for those looking for a worry free professional 3d tool.

Oh yeah, and Max doesn't run on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Howitzer; May 6th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmn_clown View Post
    Which is only a plus if you don't mind having to re-write your plugins every time someone in the python project decides to break backwards compatibility in the API. Yes it's nice to have a cross-platform plug-in language, but can't it be a stable language without insane developers that constantly break backwards compatibility?

Yes, you are right. I am not a programmer but I can understand the problem of backwards compatibility. I assume that such things happens when we have rapid (fast) progress to the development of a language. I believe I can "feel" the emotions of a programmer when he have to "sacrifice" backwards compatibility for new features and/or more stable versions of a program or a language like python. Though thinks like that are part of "evolution" and progress.

For example I believe we will see huge changes to the particles system of blender when the new version will be released. Some of our old 3D works relative to the old particle system "will not work" (or "may not" work) with the new version. This could make us sad for our past work, but I am sure that we will like (be happy with) the new features blender's new particle system might have and have better results in our newest works. Of course what are you talking about is more complicated than a simple particle system change in blender, but I think my example is strong enough to give the impression I want.
    In other words you are right, but...

The cross-platform ability of blender is something amazing because it make people of different platforms come together. Together is better than alone..
    This give extra power to blender. This gives extra power to linux and to open source in general.

One of the things I like in blender is that the people that make it, took it seriously. They are not seem to be arrogant or something like that. In the new movies they are creating they know that the movies except of "blender demos", they have the opportunity to see real artists work with it and ...they are "listening" to the artists. They speak and collaborate with them, listen to the problems blender have and the good work that have been done, and staff like that...then they "translate" what artists say/want/seek from a program and they are trying to build the tools. That's the spirit. An artist is an artist and a programmer is a programmer. Each one usually is good in some sectors and bad in others. Put them together and they can build miracles. This makes blender even more powerful. More and more people will love time by time blender and use it. Don't forget that people afraid to leave their habits. Multi platform give the opportunity to everyone to at least "Try it".
    Blender seems Not user friendly at first sight but when someone understand it, then he knows that it is excellent program.
    Oh...I love blender project...!!!

I suggest to everyone who like 3D modeling...,just to try it for at least a week reading the manuals and wikis in the internet and try to understand it every time they get frustrated or get stuck and don't know "what to do" or "how to do". It worth the time you will spend. I am sure that you will love it...!!!

Congratulations to the team/creators and to everyone that support it.
    Last edited by vboblinux; May 6th, 2008 at 09:17 PM.

Max's animation tools are very good and much more mature than Blender's
    personaly I find Max's amimation fetures a pain in the A$$!. espetialy the way bones system works, it takes forever to set up. I had a strange problem where a bone would stretch when rotated, and no obvious reson why.blenders constraint and paranting system is also MUCH easier to use.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I forgot about this entire thread... and now i remembered about it... )

So, GUYS! I am not interested in such technical details! I am interested in fact, if i can do in Blender some simple simulations... IE: simulating a bar interior with no hard worked details... just the big picture. But using lights, having a real scale (measuring units), using real materials...

I am not interested, nor i have the time to play with face modeling or whatever are you guys talking about there!

Also i am interested to know if it works faster / using less resources than 3ds max.

My entire idea was to: Don't buy another GOD DAMN MAX license (i have max 5 witch is kinda old), don't buy another computer just for interior design (i have a DELL INSPIRON 6400 / intel dual core 1,7 ghz / 2 gb ram / intel gm945 graph card).

Anyways, tanks a lot guys for the posts / answers.

http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/Tutorials

Try that link out. There are some good ones, like modeling the house. For the stuff you want to be doing, Blender is probably too powerful and fast.

Also i am interested to know if it works faster / using less resources than 3ds max.
    Yep

Enjoy!
    "A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"
    My kickawesome web design business...powered by Ubuntu

So, GUYS! I am not interested in such technical details! I am interested in fact, if i can do in Blender some simple simulations... IE: simulating a bar interior with no hard worked details... just the big picture. But using lights, having a real scale (measuring units), using real materials...
    blender dousent support real world units at all, but you can just say 1 BU(blender unit) = 1 meter. If you are looking for photorealistic renders then a external renderer will be nesoserry.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    blender dousent support real world units at all, but you can just say 1 BU(blender unit) = 1 meter. If you are looking for photorealistic renders then a external renderer will be nesoserry.
    I found out one practical trick to measure correct in blender.

I used the autocad of a friend of mine and I created some simple lines.

The first Line was 1 meter
    The second line was 0.5 Meter
    the third line was 10 cm
    the fourth line was 1 cm

Ok I created and a line of 100 meters too...

Well...now I got my "perfect lines"...,lines with "Proportions"!!!
    Blender can import files from Autocad.
    Once I needed to create a field scene for my work (The video scene would be a far distance view of the field and then the camera would zoom in and show details of some machines installed to the field),...no problem at all. I scaled all the "Autocad lines" together to fit the blender grid as I wanted. So blender units had the proportions I needed.
    The reason I did that was a "long distance viewing" problem of blender (I hope the team will fix it with the new version of blender).
    Blender don't react well with "long distances". When you zoom out too much blender loose the scene (don't show the scene) until you zoom-in again. When you zoom out "close to the limits", when you try to rotate the scene you "lose it" from the screen. The parts of the scene that exceed the " viewing limits" of blender will not show any more when at rotation time they got outside the limits and show again back when you rotate them back...!!! So I had to scale down my scene to at least 0.5 or more scale units to eliminate the problem. How much should I scale my scene so I can create far distance scenes and how can I ensure that when I zoom in I can have measured details too? That question can be answered using the Autocad Lines" I created. That's why I used the lines from Autocad. I Scaled down the lines (all lines together), to fit exactly to the grid of blender (so the 1 meter line is 1 blender unit or 10 blender units or anything I like - depending on what I want to create). Then I created a plane 150 meters x 50 meters (those where the dimensions of the field) and then I checked the "far distances" of the zoom out to see if I could render my scene from the camera views I wanted.

Problem for far distances solved and also the measuring and the proportions where correct...!!!!
    Mission Accomplished...!!!

Else, for Far Distance scenes you should create two separated scenes. One for the far distance and one for the close distance.

Now the bar creation has nothing to do with my "tip and trick". A bar creation and the interior scenes should work without a problem in blender. (when I say far distance scenes I mean scenes that cover a space of about 100 x 50 square meters. Everything is relative to how many blender units a meter or an inch is though..!!!
    Last edited by vboblinux; May 8th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vboblinux View Post
    The reason I did that was a "long distance viewing" problem of blender (I hope the team will fix it with the new version of blender).
    Blender don't react well with "long distances". When you zoom out too much blender loose the scene (don't show the scene) until you zoom-in again. When you zoom out "close to the limits", when you try to rotate the scene you "lose it" from the screen. The parts of the scene that exceed the " viewing limits" of blender will not show any more when at rotation time they got outside the limits and show again back when you rotate them back...!!!
    This is not a bug. Each camera object in a scene as well as the 3D view window itself has a clipping range. The clipping range of a camera object can be adjusted in the camera settings panel. The clipping range of the 3D view window can be adjusted in the view properties panel. The purpose of these settings is to make the 3D view more responsive with large scenes on slower graphics cards and to increase rendering speed, especially when using Blender's integrated game engine. For example, if the camera field of view is limited by mist, it makes perfect sense to clip off anything beyond that limit.

See the Blender wiki for details:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eye208 View Post
    This is not a bug. Each camera object in a scene as well as the 3D view window itself has a clipping range. The clipping range of a camera object can be adjusted in the camera settings panel. The clipping range of the 3D view window can be adjusted in the view properties panel. The purpose of these settings is to make the 3D view more responsive with large scenes on slower graphics cards and to increase rendering speed, especially when using Blender's integrated game engine. For example, if the camera field of view is limited by mist, it makes perfect sense to clip off anything beyond that limit.

See the Blender wiki for details:

Ok. What you are saying about the cameras is correct. Maybe it was an expression mistake I did when I explained the problem of blender in my previous post.
    Please let me show what I mean with this example in the attachment. (Try to rotate the scene and see what happens. Some parts of the qube just dissapear as we rotate the qube because of far distance)
    I have just a "Big Qube" (I just scaled up the default qube). You can see the problem I mean with the "Big sized Scenes". Blender can't handle easy big scenes in dimensions (far distance).
    Maybe the correct expression should be the "OpenGL view" of the "viewports" in blender.
    I don't know an easier way to handle big scenes like the one I have in the example file (or biger) neither a configuration/button/etc inside blender that I should do to correct that problem (i.e. change the far distance in viewports or something). The only way I found was to scale down the scene as I mentioned to my "practical tip & trick".
    I hope I explained what I mean better this time. (Sorry for my bad English/expression mistakes. English language is not my main language)

Edit: Yes you are right..!!! The configuration you saied(View Properties) is the key. We can configure it...!!!
    (thanks for opening my eyes). I did a test now, but I can't make it go more far away.There is a limit again at Clip End: 10000.00..!!
    If someone want to make a park or a city? How can he handle that? Still scaling down or there is another way? Is it still a handling big scenes problem? Is everyone in every program do it with scaling down method? is it something else I miss?
    Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vboblinux; May 9th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast