Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "VirtualBox kernel driver not installed" error after Hardy upgrade

Beans

Re: "VirtualBox kernel driver not installed" error after Hardy upgrade

Yeah same problem here. The 17 kernel that I installed came from hardy-updates. But Virtualbox doesn't yet have an updated kernel module. Guess I'll be booting into 16 until that time...

Beans

Kernel module may also be obtained by compiling it from sources (that exist in the repository - search for "virtualbox" in synaptic). For me that worked fine.

Beans

but how do i compile it then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I got the same problem after today's kernel update. Reinstall virtualbox solved it.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by destiney View Post
    That's a good one. Although, i wish they'd make sure it works before releasing the kernel to the public.

Edit: Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried the proposed solution, but it looks like a good one. A temporary fix until the real one is released. I went with the "boot into the old kernel"-option, which is alot easier.
    Last edited by ubuntism; May 27th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.

Beans

Shows over. It works now. Just upgrade from the repository. Thanks ubuntu people. Whoever you all are, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: "VirtualBox kernel driver not installed" error after Hardy upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntism View Post
    Shows over. It works now. Just upgrade from the repository. Thanks ubuntu people. Whoever you all are, thanks.
    THANKS for posting this! I was pulling my hair out trying to get this to work right now and if I hadn't seen your post I never would've looked for another update since I booted this morning. Now I just need to log out and back in for the change to take effect...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    THANKS for posting this! I was pulling my hair out trying to get this to work right now and if I hadn't seen your post I never would've looked for another update since I booted this morning. Now I just need to log out and back in for the change to take effect...
    Er... I didn't read the VirtualBox error message that carefully, but it did also say that I should add my user to the virtualbox user group (which I hadn't done, since this was a fresh install and I didn't pay attention). So of course THAT was why I needed to log out and back in...

Once I applied the kernal driver update, added myself to the virtualbox user group, and logged out and back in, my virtual machine worked again.

Beans

I had the 64bit deb installed and got this same error this morning after the upgrade. I just ran
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox
    Seemed to clear the problem up.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast