Thread: [SOLVED] Edubuntu ?

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Edubuntu ?

Hi

I don't understand the purpose behind making Edubuntu. Its the exact true copy of Ubuntu (except the default wallpaper) then why is it being distributed with a different name ?

Do NOT run any command resembling sudo rm -rf /. It is the 10-character code of death

Beans

Re: Edubuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by Google Spider View Post
    Hi

I don't understand the purpose behind making Edubuntu. Its the exact true copy of Ubuntu (except the default wallpaper) then why is it being distributed with a different name ?

I was under the impression Edubuntu uses XFCE instead of Gnome. It also has educational packages installed by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Edubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop enivironment. It just has a different name, and a few educational packages installed, such as a periodic table etc... Really nothing anyone could use in my opinion.
    fedora core 9
    XBL Gamertag: MDK BlOOdHuNTeR

I'm one of them things they call a right wing conservative gun nut. Nice to meet you.
    PSN: whitefang5412

Beans

All the educational applciations are available, but they come on another CD and are not installed by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Edubuntu is also set up to be used as a thin client OS. So educators that don't necessarily have a lot of resources(and have a limited budget) can set up a whole computer lab cheap and fast.