Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is compiz Fusion Installed by default?

Beans

Why is compiz Fusion Installed by default?

I do not have Compiz Fusion turned on and have not have it turned on for quite some time. The reason for this is because I have realized that it causes almost all the crashes and problems in Ubuntu (and most GNU/Linux distros in general). I remember during Feisty's time Beryl was installed but not turned on by default and there was a warning that it is still in testing. However in Gutsy it is turned on by default and no warning is given to the user that it is still Beta (or maybe alpha). Not only that, but it is turned on by default making a new user think that it will not cause problems. My experience in general with Compiz Fusion is that it causes many crashes and problems. I really hope that in Hardy there will be a warning. I post this because I want to see what other people have been experiencing and I also want to see if people agree that Compiz should not be turned on by default.
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Why is compiz Fusion Installed by default?

Perhaps it's just on your hardware? It never crashes for me and a lot of other people. The only thing that crashes my computer is my hard drive (stupid Circuit City replacing bad drives with worse ones)

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

In Hardy Compiz is on by default. No warnings are displayed. At least in beta. But to my mind it works quite stable even on my ATI x1400.
    Last edited by Raven_Oscar; March 26th, 2008 at 03:23 PM.

Beans

Perhaps it's just on your hardware? It never crashes for me and a lot of other people. The only thing that crashes my computer is my hard drive (stupid Circuit City replacing bad drives with worse ones)
    Well I have tried compiz on four pcs, two laptops, and two desktops and on every single on of them, I have had a plethora of problems with Compiz... That's weird, I thought most people were having trouble with it too. I have also seen other problems on this forum casued by compiz such as with videos and flash.
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree. I think they shouldn't have it on by default, and also in the appearances preferences compiz fusion tab, say 'WARNING: THIS IS ALPHA SOFTWARE AND EXPECT IT TO BE BUGGY'. right now they're acting like it's at version 1.0, as they both display NO warning AND have it on by default if hardware supports..tut tut. You may call me a hypocrit as i use compiz fusion, but I'm talking generally

It runs fine on lots of people's computers (most in fact, including mine) but on some computers its really buggy (that's why i'm giving this rant)
    Last edited by fela; March 26th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Indeed.

Now that we have Metacity's nice little compositor, it would make sense to swap out Compiz for Metacity's compositing_manager by default. Metacity's compositor is still in early days as well, but I for one am finding it extremely stable and quite nice on my computer's battery life. Furthermore, it works practically everywhere I have tried it, including within VirtualBox.

There are fewer usability issues turning on compositing with Metacity, since it is not a change of window manager as Compiz is; all underlying behaviours for switching windows, etc. stay the same. There are also no strange inconsistencies or losses of functionality to speak of.

Perhaps Desktop Effects "safe" setting could do that, while the other crazy looking ones use Compiz...
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; March 26th, 2008 at 04:26 PM.

Beans

I have Compiz enabled on both my desktop and my personal laptop, as well as my laptop at work. None of them give me any problems. Compiz works fine, doesn't crash at all.

YMMV.

Adam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like compiz myself...never used metacity's compositor.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I have installed both Beryl and Compiz Fusion on many PC's (Mostly on nVidia chipsets and in a couple cases some on board intel graphics chipset, one ATI a year ago), and the only one I've ever had a problem with is my own PC (because the video card was overclocked by the manufacturer, which I think is causing it to lockup; it's a BFG GeForce 5600 OC). No other computer I've installed it on has ever had a problem with Compiz or Beryl.

What happened when you approached the forums with the problems you were having?? Nobody could help you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do you enabled metacity's compositor? I'm running Hardy so should have it right?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast