Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am i correct in this notion?

Beans

am i correct in this notion?

my 'cool pet names' thread was just moved to the backyard. there wasn't anything at all controversial in the thread, so i'm wondering if there is a trend to make the cafe about OT linux/computer stuff and the backyard more about 'other'?

Beans

Re: am i correct in this notion?

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    my 'cool pet names' thread was just moved to the backyard. there wasn't anything at all controversial in the thread, so i'm wondering if there is a trend to make the cafe about OT linux/computer stuff and the backyard more about 'other'?
    It seems to be up to the mod doing the moving.

The Backyard isn't a bad place, just a place with less restrictions on content (but still follow the CoC!)

Some seem to move a lot of threads there.

Beans

That's how I see the distinction.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jken146 View Post
    That's how I see the distinction.
    it makes sense, but laroza seems to be suggesting it's more of a [haha]whimsical action on the part of rogue moderators[/haha]. it might be well to establish some clarity on the matter.
    Last edited by chucky chuckaluck; March 24th, 2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: insert smiley tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Now I don't talk about pets, because I have none, but if I did, I would certainly more likely engage in such conversations in a café than in somebody's backyard, unless I was trespassing on their property and the "pet" in question was the owner's dog hanging on my leg.

But seriously, a distinction exists in the subforum descriptions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Community Cafe
    Community Chat area for general discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backyard
    The Backyard is for debates, politics etc. Please try to keep it clean and professional. Please read the rules posted in the forum.
    The distinction doesn't state any reason to limit the Café to "computering" talk only, there's only a distinction between "general discussion" and "debates".

In my opinion, creating another limitation (by moving threads*) would not be necessary or preferable. A Café is a place for people to meet and discuss whatever they like.

*) Then, it's another matter if people just like to start their threads in the Backyard. Then it's their own choice, and by choosing the Backyard instead of the Café they indicate their own preferences for the "discussion venue". In parallel, however, I would like posters to have an equal option to choose the Café for starting their discussion, unless the topic itself "prohibits" this choice.

(I don't hang out on the Backyard, but browsing the Backyard list of topics, many of them would seem fine in the Café as well. I don't know if this is the cause of forum evolution where people just "like to hang out" on the Backyard, or whether a lot of threads get moved there.)

Just my 2pence.

kko1
    Please mark your thread solved when it is. Click Thread Tools, then Mark this thread as solved. It's fast and helps others! If appropriate, also post and tell what solution worked for you.

Beans

it makes sense, but laroza seems to be suggesting it's more of a [haha]whimsical action on the part of rogue moderators[/haha]. it might be well to establish some clarity on the matter.
    Well, the only reason I would move anything to the backyard, is if it is political or religious. Otherwise, I don't bother.

Some mods I have seen have certain things they focus on. I am slightly more likely to notice derogatory comments about women, some notice profanity more, and some may be more likely to see a topic as a backyard subject.

It really doesn't matter, and I like the backyard better than the Cafe, because the Cafe (no offense) has some really silly topics in it. The Backyard isn't crystal, and has some ugly threads, but I find its content to be more interesting.

I am more likely to make a thread in the Backyard than the Cafe because of this.

If you really don't like the thread being in the Backyard, you could request it moved back, but I would consider the Backyard a better place anyway.

Beans

in light of your explaination, laroza, i would prefer the pet name thread be in the cafe. if we're not limiting the cafe to computer related off topic material, then that's where it belongs, as it's pretty fluffy (no pet intended).

Beans

in light of your explaination, laroza, i would prefer the pet name thread be in the cafe. if we're not limiting the cafe to computer related off topic material, then that's where it belongs, as it's pretty fluffy (no pet intended).
    I could move it back, but I would want to get the OK of the original mover. Do you know who it was?

Beans

Post Re: am i correct in this notion?

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I could move it back, but I would want to get the OK of the original mover. Do you know who it was?
    LaRoza using your Mod Thread tools should help you out in finding out who moved the thread but my memory on this could be fuzzy?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    LaRoza using your Mod Thread tools should help you out in finding out who moved the thread but my memory on this could be fuzzy?
    Yes (I probably know who moved it without even looking), but I just want to make sure who it was, and I am too lazy to look.

To be honest, I just got up, and do not care enough about this issue to spend much energy on it. Not that I am minimizing fuscia's position, it is a trivial matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast