Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Danger is releasing their album for free

Beans

Harvey Danger is releasing their album for free

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Danger
    In preparing to self-release our new album, we thought long and hard about how best to use the internet. Given our unusual history, and a long-held sense that the practice now being demonized by the music biz as “illegal” file sharing can be a friend to the independent musician, we have decided to embrace the indisputable fact of music in the 21st century, put our money where our mouth is, and make our record, Little By Little…, available for download via Bittorrent, and at our website. We’re not streaming, or offering 30-second song samples, or annoying you with digital rights management software; we’re putting up the whole record, for free, forever. Full stop. Please help yourself; if you like it, please share with friends.
    You can dowload the album in both MP3 and OGG formats.
    http://www.harveydanger.com/downloads/

Don't have BitTorrent? Get it here:
    http://bittornado.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: Harvey Danger is releasing their album for free

cool, they have oggs too. im downloading it now, hope its good. i wonder if theyll ever put flacs up there too.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

see I would love to contribute directly to them, not because I like the music (I haven't heard it yet) but they openly support sharing and open formats.

I suspect that if I give them 5 bucks for this album, that makes them more money than if I go out and buy the album (if I can even find it) - I like that, cutting out the middle man, reducing the RIAAs argument that we are stealing from starving artists not fat cat money grubbing record execs.

Now my problem is that my paypal account has reached it's limit and all I have is a VISA which doesn't qualify for expanded use.

For now I guess I'll have to give them bandwidth, but I think it's a great concept - someone should /. them, that might boost the revenue in terms of contributions.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

it downloaded really quickly(i think i was the only one getting the ogg torrent, lol) and the music is pretty good. its not hard rock like some of my other music, but its good music to listen to while studying and stuff. i really hope this catches on. also, they will be selling their cd in retail stores and online for 12 bucks.

i was suprised to read on their site that they say they are only doing this to make more money, not because they have any moral problems with the RIAA.

Beans

You know, I really gotta applaud these artists here. I read their reasoning.

The first thought which popped into my mind while contemplating their "experiment" (as they call it), is that you're looking at a revolutionary concept in marketization of artistic ideas (expressed through music in this case). This is good. I think in the end it will only encourage more quality per record. I've seen many such "record deals" by the big wigs where tracks are laid down just to fill some quota and time deadline. Spaghetti incident anyone? I think I've used that example in that past, but it's a good case study as it relates to this topic (for those of us who've followed Gnus N' Roses religiously)...

\\//_

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    I suspect that if I give them 5 bucks for this album, that makes them more money than if I go out and buy the album...
    I agree. I hope they do well and perhaps this will lead to more musicians offering their music in an open format.

Downloading the bittorent ogg. Quite fast... 50+KB/s.

Besides spreading the word about this site what are other ways I cab support this band?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is pretty cool of them, and the album isnt bad. I just listened to it while cleaning my house.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Might I note that I love "Cream and bastards rise".. it's just awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Does anyone know is there any other band/singer that's doing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I hope someone with xiph will do a press release commenting Harvey Danger on their choice of Ogg Vorbis as the distribution format. We need some more PR for open formats and those who use them.

Same goes for the EFF and their filesharing campaign, again this is a win for them - thus they should praise HD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast