View Poll Results: What do you think is most important to new users?

Voters
593. You may not vote on this poll
  • Office applications

122 20.57%
  • Browsing the web

300 50.59%
  • Playing games

160 26.98%
  • Email

11 1.85%
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marketing Ubuntu (and Linux)

Beans

Marketing Ubuntu (and Linux)

I just read a comment on OSNEWS, here it is...

"Why shouldn't MS "integrate" (whatever that really means) RSS into Windows? It's a new technology that Windows needs to stay current. People like the all-or-nothing approach of Windows. If given an option to install something called "RSS Tools", 99 of 100 people wouldn't know what "RSS Tools" means. Tell them, though, that Windows can automatically update news headlines, sport scores, and stock info and they'll say "Yes"."

Well we got to agree that Linux distros are better but we dont market them well, Ubuntu is a step in the right direction but we could still go a real further.

For eg. Since ages Ubuntu distros have had those RSS readers but it is MS now which steals the limelight. It is because they are marketing well; like they are saying automatic scores, stocks , news instead of RSS..That way people get it more...

But all is not lost...we could begin marketing Ubuntu's good features with Breezy Badger. Not hyping the features but atleast giving them credit.

For eg.

a) Awesome Out of the box eye candy and integrated tools to skin your applications
    b) The All-in-one Messenger- no need to login to different clients. just use one gaim to login to all your Y! hotmail! AIM etc. accounts
    c) Integrated Photo Suite : Get going with your digicam. Gthumb helps you import images in a flash, f-spot helps you export it to flickr and burn cds and stuff and then gimp is for more hifi stuff etc.
    d) Beagle Search: Search anything anywhere on your computer

e) Your Stuff remains private > to show that each one has seperate home dirs
    Of course I am not a marketing person, so not wording the stuff right...and someone could put them in better words...but just an idea...what do you think..???

Showing ppl what work they can get done rather than what apps a distro has seems a cooler way...what do you think?? Opinions please;.

Beans

Re: Marketing

seems like a good idea. the one thing i have noticed about linux distros is they usaly dont do enough marketing. if it was promted in the way you said. e.g. telling people what the programs or features do instead of telling them what the program or feature was called im sure linux would do a lot better.

Beans

you mean something like that:
    http://images.linspire.com/linspire5.0intro4-8-5.swf ?

I dont know if the benefit would be enough to outweight the loss in niveau.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Marketing

And Also how about a comparison sheet

Breezy Badger vs. Windows vs. Apple Mac OS X

Integrated Graphics Suite --> Yes No No
    Integrated All in one MEssenger --> Yes No No?
    Immune to virus --> Yes No Yes
    Eye Candy Tools Out of the box --> Yes No Yes

And more....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by ankitmalik
    Eye Candy Tools Out of the box --> Yes No Yes
    Ubuntu definitely needs more eyecandy before you can say that... currently it is comparable to windows, and nothing compared to os x. But I like the idea of a comparison sheet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A quick little thing to keep in mind about the Linspire marketting approach... You have to pay for Linspire, that money goes to marketting and making everything fully compatible like their CNR. Granted paying for free software is pretty dumb, when you use CNR in Linspire, it's them saying "YES it will run as designed" vs. "Maybe it will run on your system."

Just my quick two cents. (No I'm not a linspire fan)

Beans
    Hidden!

mmm, I dislike the idea of Linspire too... but I do agree we need better marketing. Ubuntu is such a great distro, it really should be marketed, as Linux, particularly Ubuntu, has gotten to the point where it is entirely usable out-of-the-box, or, straight after a clean install. Ubuntu is a very memorable name, I think it will become one of the better known brands in Linux (it pretty much already has I guess)... I don't know, but we really need to market Ubuntu, and establish a brand name among everyday people.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by jzke
    mmm, I dislike the idea of Linspire too... but I do agree we need better marketing. Ubuntu is such a great distro, it really should be marketed, as Linux, particularly Ubuntu, has gotten to the point where it is entirely usable out-of-the-box, or, straight after a clean install. Ubuntu is a very memorable name, I think it will become one of the better known brands in Linux (it pretty much already has I guess)... I don't know, but we really need to market Ubuntu, and establish a brand name among everyday people.
    I like the idea of marketing Ubuntu, too. Hell, I like marketing in general, it's what I study and what I practice. I would be more than willing to help devise a campaign for Breezy, or Ubuntu, in general, should that be direction Canonical wish to take (and whether they want community involvement at that level). Just shoot me a PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Might i point you to this thread then? Of course i will be biased to my idea but i don't do marketing, so i don't actually know what sells.

Ubuntu Commercial

Beans

If you're to make a commercial you need to include LOTS of more stuff in the basic install. You'll need something like:

* Office suite (OOo 2)
    * Internet suite (I'd say Mozilla Firefox + Thunderbird +GAIM)
    * Multimedia suite (Rythmbox + Mplayer with all codecs)
    * Easy setup tool for a gfxcard. For example, a entry in the menu called "Install your graphics card here!" and it autodetects the card, downloads the driver and activates it.
    * Antivirus protection (prolly uneccesary but people wanna feel safe)
    * Firewall (Firestarter is EXCELLENT, I love it)
    * Graphics/movie suite (GIMP2, maybe Blender and some camsoftware, Kino)
    * Burning software (Gnomebaker/DVD::RIP)
    * Win32 emu (wine)
    * Synaptic! Needs to be intergrated and a lot more "availible". Like, a nice big description too it telling us that this is the packetmanager where you can also download VERY much other programs, a wide variety of apps. All for free too!

I do realize most of this stuff is already intergrated but I think a DVD-release would really make things more attractive for the averge user. Also, a graphical install (maybe a choice can be made here, "Installation for people new to Linux" or "Traditional install".).

Another thing is a automated script for automounting your harddrives, the script detecting filesystem & adding entry in fstab.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Nightblade; June 28th, 2005 at 02:29 PM.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast