Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tutorials on Forum Basics

Beans

Posting Images on the Forum

Many times you want to post an image on the forum. There are several ways of doing this. I will show the forums inbuilt functions first, then I will show what I do.

First, the image has to have a URI, for pictures on the web already, this is easy to get.

See this wikipedia page for the screenshot of Ubuntu 8.04: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu

Clicking on it gets you the image information page, and then click that image to get the image itself. For most web pages, you can right click an image and copy the URI, and then paste it (how depends on the browser)

Here is the URI of that screenshot: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...buntu_8.04.png

To post an image with just code, you use the [img][/img] tags, with the URI of the image included.

So:

In the GUI editor, the picture of the mountains and and sun (it is mostly yellow) will give you a dialog to automatically paste the code, just give it the URI of the image.

That will embed the image in the post. For larger images, you should use thumbnails (images that are small, but are linked to the larger version).

To attach one to a post, you use the paper clip icon and upload it from there.

My preferred way of posting images is to use: http://imageshack.us/

Without an account, you can upload images (<3 MB) and you get the code to paste the entire image or a thumbail (in a forum, blog, and website). You can also resize images and use some more options. With an account, you get more features.

Here is a picture I took in Maine uploaded onto Imageshack.us:

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Tutorials on Forum Basics

Edit: question answered. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    What is the easiest way to get an image from my hard drive posted in the body of a post?
    See above tutorial.

Easiest way is to use the forum's attachment feature (the paperclip), but it isn't that flexible (see the little thumbnail at the bottom of my post)

The more flexible (and easy) way is to use a service like imageshack.

EDIT: I see you editted it quickly when you saw the tutorial I just wrote. That tutorial is now in the sticky, so it isn't worded to be me to you, but me to everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I like the idea of ubuntuforums being a stand-alone repository of knowledge. I'd rather not link to pictures from outside sources like imageshack (even though it is a neat service), since if imageshack were to go down then ubuntuforum's knowledge repo would also be altered.

It appears then that the workaround is to upload the picture as an attachment first, post, then find out the URI of the picture (something of the form
    http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...id=xxxx&d=xxxx)
    then edit the post to include the picture in the body of the text with the [img] tag.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd highly recommend uploading the images to the forums, as some of us have rather small screens, and the thumbnail gives us a general idea of the image, and we can always click on it to get the larger image.

forestpixie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I'd highly recommend uploading the images to the forums, as some of us have rather small screens, and the thumbnail gives us a general idea of the image, and we can always click on it to get the larger image.
    +1

Not that I have a small screen - but I get a bit fed up having to download big images when there is no need.

If you were unlucky enough to still have a dial up - I expect it would be even more annoying.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    +1

Not that I have a small screen - but I get a bit fed up having to download big images when there is no need.

If you were unlucky enough to still have a dial up - I expect it would be even more annoying.
    Or use an Eee like some people on this forum...

forestpixie Guest

Thought I saw one once - but wasn't sure because I couldn't see the screen

But all joking asside, it is a pain in the proverbial when people think it's great to show everyone how big an image they can get on the forum grrr..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    But all joking asside, it is a pain in the proverbial when people think it's great to show everyone how big an image they can get on the forum grrr..
    I agree. The worst part is when they are reported, the copy of the post can't be edited, so we are stuck with reports with large images.

forestpixie Guest

Perhaps I shall post some absolutely enormous ones and report them, then suggest here that the forum is changed so that only thumbnails can be used

And no threats

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast