Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorials on Forum Basics

Beans

Re: What do the colour of user's names mean?

You will see that different users have different colour names. Here is a rundown on the meaning of the colours:

• Black: Members of the forum. (I will explain this later)
    • Red: Forum Moderators
    • Dark Red: Forum Administrators
    • Green: LoCo Team Moderators
    • Brown: Developers
    • Purple: Hackers

This Page lists all forum leaders/staff/groups. On your profile, under group memberships, you can request to join a group. If you are a member of that group you can choice to identify as a member. For example, I am a Forum Moderator, and a member of two teams, I can only identify as one at a time. If I identify as a member of either team, my name will be black. Most people identify with the group they are in that is the most unique, rarely do moderators identify as not being members of the moderator's group.
    Last edited by Iowan; September 7th, 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Purple is intended as humor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

What is difference between developers and hackers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    What is difference between developers and hackers?
    Purple isn't a colour that is available, therefore, anybody with it has hacked the forum. (I should have used the word "cracker", but I didn't want to sound racist)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    You will see that different users have different colour names. Here is a rundown on the meaning of the colours:
    • Black: Members of the forum. (I will explain this later)
    • Red: Forum Moderators
    • Dark Red: Forum Administrators
    • Green: LoCo Team Moderators
    • Brown: Developers
    • Purple: Hackers
    also the specialty beens:
    • Ubuntu Forum Staff: Staff
    • Burnt Beens: Banished
    • Day old Decaf: ??
    Last edited by Iowan; September 7th, 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Purple is intended as humor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Purple isn't a colour that is available, therefore, anybody with it has hacked the forum. (I should have used the word "cracker", but I didn't want to sound racist)
    ah, in that case "hacker" is the right term. It was not malicious, so it is not cracking

Beans

Re: Tutorials on Forum Basics

I hope this tutorial will be helpful. This is not a tutorial as such but more of an explanation of how to use certain features (thanks to psmasiar as I used a screenshot of your post to help with this tutorial - it's only because it was the first post at hand).

Explaining posts

This diagram shows you what a typical post looks like. Relevant parts are numbered which we will be referring to later.

1. This is the members username. Your username will appear with every post you make, and as mentioned previously the usernames are colour coded so you can tell if say a moderator has made the post.

2. This is the rank. As your post count (the number of posts you have made) increases, the rank image will change and the words that appear under the rank image will also change.

3. This is called an avatar, and is a custom image that a member uploads to add originality to their posts. You can choose an avatar for yourself by going into the User Control Panel (under Quick Links at the top of the page).

4. This area gives information about the poster, such as when they joined and how many posts they have made. The member may have added information to their profile, like where they are from and which Linux distro they use, which will also show up here. You can add those to your profile by choosing Edit Profile from Quick Links.

5. This has two icons.

The first (the little yellow circle) is an online indicator. If the circle is yellow it means that the member is currently online.
    The second is REPORT. If you think the post was inappropriate (like advertising or using bad language) then you can press this button and it will send a report to the moderators. So you use this button whenever you think that a post needs a moderators attention.

6. This is the main post area. The title of the post will appear above the post with the post number. This post happens to have a quote attached to it which will be explained further down.

The area under the line is called a signature, and is a piece of text that can be attached to every post. You can edit your own signature with the Quick Links.

7. This group of icons allows you to reply to the post. From left to right they are:

QUOTE: pressing this button will open a new message window. It will contain the post that you clicked QUOTE on so you can write a reply to it. It's useful if you want to reply to a something that was posted and want to remind other members of which post you are replying to. The post will appear wrapped in the following BBCode tags: [quote]['/quote] and so if you write before that the quoted message will appear after what you wrote, if you write after it then the quoted message will appear before what you wrote.

MULTIQUOTE: if you want to reply to several posts then you can use the multiquote. You press this button on each post that you want to quote. You then press "Post Reply" and it will open a new message window containing all the posts that you pressed multiquote to. Each post will appear in the new message window wrapped in [quote] tags, so you can add individual replies after each message.

QUICK REPLY: pressing this button on any post on the page will activate the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page.

THANK: if you thought the information in the post was helpful then you can press this button and it will give a "Thanks" to the member that posted it.

Also, if it is one of YOUR posts only then an EDIT icon will show next to the QUOTE button. This will allow you to edit a post after you have posted it. After a certain timeout, the words "Last Edited by.. x minutes ago" will be added to the bottom of the post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sub2007; March 24th, 2008 at 02:17 PM.

Beans

Re: Stickies

You see threads that are called Stickies in the various sub forums. They can only be set by staff (but any thread can be stickied).

Stickies should be important threads that are worth having up front. If you see a sticky with bad advise, or it is out of date, report it so it can be altered or unstickied.

Too many stickies reduce their efficiency. Sticky proliferation can be a problem, so the staff usually discuss stickies before stickying them.

If you see a thread that is constantly being referenced, or is a very good guide to the forums topic, it may be a good sticky. To request a sticky, post in this forum and give a link to the thread so it can be reviewed.

It is alright to ask for a thread you created to be stickied if it was meant to be such a thread.

Beans

Reporting Posts

Under each poster's profile on each post on the forum, you see a button for reporting posts:

If you click on it, you will be sent to a page that looks like:

This feature of the forum is what enables less than 40 staff to manage a forum of over 500.000 members. This report feature can be used for more than it is stated on the note on the report page. It is used to report:

• Spam
    • Flamebait, illegal content, inappropriate content, profanity, and other violates of the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    • Inappropriate tags on a thread.
    • Threads to be moved to a more appropriate forum. Threads are often posted in forum that they shouldn't be in. This is a common mistake because of the size of the forum and reporting it to be moved allows the poster to get the best help and it keeps the forum organized.
    • Recurring Discussions
    • Necromancing/Archaeology
    • Anything else that would require a staff member to review.

This feature should not be used for:
    • Technical support or to thank the other posts.
    • Things that the staff don't need to see.

If a spammer is reading this, please report your own threads. It makes our lives easier.
    Last edited by LaRoza; May 31st, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    ...Please feel free to add your own tutorials to this thread, if you think they'd be helpful to new users--only tutorials on how to use the forums, not on how to use Ubuntu.
    I don't have a tutorial but hoped it would be OK to raise an issue. Forum members requesting help will occasionally post screenful after screenful of computer output. The following is one example:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=812879

Is this acceptable or should computer output such as this be put in a text file and attached. Or is there some other way to handle this? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

LaRoza I'm reporting you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast