Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Ubuntu ever feel "unpolished" to you?

Beans

Does Ubuntu ever feel "unpolished" to you?

By this, I mean things like the system menu (with several very similar choices), or glimpses of bash in the background if logging off, etc. Also, I feel forced to use beta versions of software to get a fast/more functional system (e.g using Firefox Betas to reduce the monumental lag when scrolling/changing tabs). This use of cutting edge software leads to lots of crashes, which can be a pain.

On the other hand, this is unfair due to proprietary drivers (ATI/AMD, gah!). One thing I'd really like to see is being able to use compiz and a 3D program without crashing X - is this only a bug of XGL? Looking at Vista and OSX, they both have composited environments but there's no problem with running 3D apps. I think one of the reasons why this works so well is because there is little compositing for Vista, and so when it temporarily disables it for fullscreen apps, there's barely any difference. If you did the same thing using AWN, you'd get a nasty black bar behind it.
    Last edited by Mazza558; March 14th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Does Ubuntu ever feel "unpolished" to you?

In fact, i'd say the opposite was true. Ubuntu feels very polished for me, and clearly something that Canocial pay particular attention to
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sometimes, yes, it does. But then, so does Windows. It's not going to be perfect, and as long as it works and doesn't significantly effect my doing what I need to do, I usually let it go.
    I do think XGL is more buggy. I'm using Nvidia and it works great, no big complaints there, really.
    I never had much trouble with FF2, but the new betas are great, so I do use that. I don't really feel forced to upgrade other software... sure, I can't wait to upgrade to Hardy, but there is a tradeoff between stability/polish and up-to-date software. I like the way Ubuntu has decided on that tradeoff.
    If I'm not being clear enough or giving you enough information, just ask

"But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."

Smooth scrolling for GTK!

Beans

I have been using Linux over 10 years now and have stuck with Kubuntu for about three years. The reason is plain and simple. It is a Debian-based distro that "just works".

There were many 'user friendly' distros that looked very polished, but were horrible to configure. Mandrake looked terrific back in 2002, but it had this automagic config tool which overwrote all manual changes by default.

OTOH, I used slackware 8 for a while, which was tried and true and very stable, and very polished in that sense. On the other hand it had no packaging system at all (except for tar and gzip), which made it a pain to update.

Debian was good, but its stable branch was not appropriate for the desktop as it was horribly outdated. Back in 2004 you had a nice polished 2002 system. Debian unstable wasn't unstable of itself, but it did lack some true testing every now and then. My USB automounter never really worked, and stuff would sometimes spontaneously break.

Gentoo was horrible. Not only did you have to polish everything yourself, you had to mix the ingredients for the polish as well. For some reason, the precompiled packages would not install well and all compilations would fail, so a few days later I scrapped everything and installed Debian agan.

To cut a long ramble short, although my definition of polish does differ from time to time, Kubuntu really is polished enough since I never really had the urge to try a different distro.
    One distro that keeps tickling my curiosity, is Arch. I may just try it in the foreseeable future, just because.

That was a long way to say 'no'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

yes, most of the time it has bugs, i feel linuxmint does a better job at polishing ubuntu.

Beans

Good job madjr. If you are looking for a more "polished' distro, give Mint a try. Especially the new KDE CE edition. It's uber-cool!

Beans

I used mint a year or so ago but I switched back to ubuntu.

Ubuntu looks very good and polished (think emerald, compiz fusion, gtk 2 themes and icons sets).

I like the code you sometimes see when booting up or powering off.

I do agree on the 3d games and compiz fusion not playing well together, but hey, it's been a year since I played a game on ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've always felt it to be very polished both in visuals and layout. I do just wish turning the desktop effects all the way up on my machine didn't kill the bar at the top of all my windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Darkagentx View Post
    I've always felt it to be very polished both in visuals and layout. I do just wish turning the desktop effects all the way up on my machine didn't kill the bar at the top of all my windows.
    That is pretty easy to fix, ask about it in the help forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Does Ubuntu ever feel "unpolished" to you?

Polish is attention to the little things.

In this light Ubuntu is the best Linux system I've ever used. However there are times when I feel like it isn't quite as polished as I'd like it to be.

Most commonly this happens when I upgrade / install the new version.
    While you get accustomed to the flaws and features of the current release it's always a bit bothersome to see things move backwards when you upgrade.

For instance, there were never problems with emblems in Gnome until Gutsy, so something that previously worked got broken (the emblem size is microscopic without a manual hack to some config file). Or the fact the Gnome-Juicer's profile dialog cannot be edited if you don't close it's parent window etc. etc. It's always these small annoyances.

If a particular piece of hardware works flawlessly it might regress in the next upgrade. For example suspend/resume worked on my wife's laptop with 6.06 but no longer with the releases after it.

While I'm willing to put the effort into fixing newly introduced bugs to gain the new features, I'm sure many newbies are turned off by the constant struggle to get the "perfectly working system".
    Eternally confused.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast