Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sansa Fuze - SanDisk supports Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sansa Fuze - SanDisk supports Linux

SanDisk has a new music player, the Sansa Fuze.

Good news: Linux is officially supported by SanDisk for the Fuze.
    Bad news: As far as I can see, it does not support open formats such as OGG.

It looks like a nice alternative to an iPod or Zune.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Sansa Fuze - SanDisk supports Linux

Maybe we ought to petition them to make it support OGG?
    That'd be great!

Beans
    Distro

i have a sansa e250 which isnt "officially" supported for linux by Sandisk.. but it works perfectly on linux ...its a great alternative to the ipod or zune because it costs almost the same as a shuffle but has the same features as nano and more

Beans
    Distro

how do you recharge these mp3 players?

I currently have a Sony Mp3 player and it recharges by USB, which is so convenient.
    That I would find it a hassle to use other means.

Beans
    Distro

same way .. it recharges when it is plugged into the usb port..

Beans
    Distro

cool how good is the sound quality?
    Sometime back when I compared the Sonys to Ipods, I felt the Sony produced better sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    how do you recharge these mp3 players?

I currently have a Sony Mp3 player and it recharges by USB, which is so convenient.
    That I would find it a hassle to use other means.
    There are AC to USB adapters available if you don't like plugging it into your computer.

EDIT: Oops, I completely misread your post. I thought you said "inconvenient." My bad.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Unfortunately, the firmware updater is Windows-only, so we have to hope they fix this to go with the Fuse's Linux "compatibility."

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376

Beans

If you want to update the firmware, you don't need the Windows software. Just put the Fuze in MSC mode (or leave it in Auto) and copy the .bin to the root of the Fuze's filesystem. Et viola.

Photos: All I've tried so far is scaling it to 320px wide and save it with a thumbnail; seems to work. If anyone knows how to automate that, that'd be great. I'm assuming it can be done with ImageMagick or similar.

Playlists: I'm told that the XMMS .m3u files work fine, if you convert them to use relative paths (like filtering 'em through sed, perl, or a regexp in vim.) I've not tried it; just having the filenames in a .m3u file apparently isn't enough. I'm going to give EasyTAG a try later.

Video: Hey, if anyone can figure this one out, that'd be great; let the rest of us know! I've created 20fps DIVX AVIs with 128kbps MP3 audio track, to no avail. I'd do a hexdump of the file that shipped with the player...but one of the first thigns I did was format the player. D'oh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by regeya View Post
    If you want to update the firmware, you don't need the Windows software. Just put the Fuze in MSC mode (or leave it in Auto) and copy the .bin to the root of the Fuze's filesystem. Et viola.

Photos: All I've tried so far is scaling it to 320px wide and save it with a thumbnail; seems to work. If anyone knows how to automate that, that'd be great. I'm assuming it can be done with ImageMagick or similar.

Playlists: I'm told that the XMMS .m3u files work fine, if you convert them to use relative paths (like filtering 'em through sed, perl, or a regexp in vim.) I've not tried it; just having the filenames in a .m3u file apparently isn't enough. I'm going to give EasyTAG a try later.

Video: Hey, if anyone can figure this one out, that'd be great; let the rest of us know! I've created 20fps DIVX AVIs with 128kbps MP3 audio track, to no avail. I'd do a hexdump of the file that shipped with the player...but one of the first thigns I did was format the player. D'oh!
    If you need some way to automate scaling down your photos, you could try Phatch. This project appeared about six months ago and should be in the repositories now.
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast