Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] I think I broke Qemu

Hybrid View

Beans

[SOLVED] I think I broke Qemu

I ran puppy linux in qemu and it worked great. I was enjoying being able to do virtualization. Then I decided to try my debian iso and when I tried to boot it this came up (screenshot). Then anytime I tried to boot anything it came up. I tried puppy again and same message. Any suggestion on fixing it? Should I move to different software?

Edit: If I should switch software, I want one that can boot ISOs as well as normal images.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by patrickaupperle; March 13th, 2008 at 09:28 PM.

Beans

Re: I think I broke Qemu

Bump

Beans

If this is unfixable (or if you don't know how) please post something. I also need to know how to remove qemu and what software would be suggested if this is the case.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hi patrick,

you are trying to boot QEMU with an ISO file, but you are not telling QEMU to boot from it. The option is "-boot d" to boot from the cd-rom.

I see that you are also using "sudo" to launch QEMU. You should NOT do this. It is not needed and is certainly not advisable in any circumstances, unless you really want to because for some mysterious reason.

A very good page about QEMU, setting it up and use it is https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...UnderQemuHowTo. From there you can enable kqemu accelerator, virtual networking and usb.

Beans

-boot d didnt work, but -cdrom did

Thank you, any idea on how to get debian working? I posted that somewhere else, ill go get the link.

edit: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=719055

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Sorry, about that

My actual complete command line to boot a debian testing/lenny is (copy/paste to a text editor, adapt it, save it a file and make it executable - chmod +x scriptname):
    Code:
    #/bin/sh
    qemu -m 384 \
        -localtime \
        -hda '/home/myuser/qemu/lenny/lenny.ovl' \
        -hdb '/home/myuser/qemu/lenny/hdb.raw' \
        -boot c \
        -cdrom '/home/myuser/Desktop/CDs/mini-debian-testing.iso' \
        -net none \
        -usb
    EDIT:change "-boot d" to boot from the "-cdrom iso_file".
    Last edited by ruibernardo; March 13th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by epimeteo View Post
    Sorry, about that

My actual complete command line to boot a debian testing/lenny is (copy/paste to a text editor, adapt it, save it a file and make it executable - chmod +x scriptname):
    Code:
    #/bin/sh
    qemu -m 384 \
        -localtime \
        -hda '/home/myuser/qemu/lenny/lenny.ovl' \
        -hdb '/home/myuser/qemu/lenny/hdb.raw' \
        -boot c \
        -cdrom '/home/myuser/Desktop/CDs/mini-debian-testing.iso' \
        -net none \
        -usb
    EDIT:change "-boot d" to boot from the "-cdrom iso_file".
    Can you explain what this does?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Here some GUI tools to deal with QEMU options and make your life easier with QEMU: qemu-launcher and qemulator, both on the Ubuntu repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Good to see you got it working!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickaupperle View Post
    How much ram should I give during the vm install process? Is it changeable at a later time?

are updates ok?
    The RAM depends on the guest OS requirements and the host available memory. It depends. Verify how much RAM the OS you're going to boot will need and give it to the guest. Virtualbox have a GUI to set the RAM of the guest. Check its options (it is explained in the wiki page):

About the upgrades, they are OK. As long you only use the Ubuntu repositories, you're safe. If you use other external repositories, it's your responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickaupperle View Post
    I installed kubuntu kde 4 hardy on virtual box. I then did a full upgrade from adept. It downloaded some 200 packages and started installing then them. At a samba update it just stopped. What should I do?
    That depends. As the guest is Kubuntu and the upgrade process broke, you should boot it (with a livecd if it doesn't boot) and try to fix the problem. You'll have to check the logs in /var/log/dmesg, /var/log/dpkg.log ond others (browse all the files in /var/log/ if needed) to see how much of the upgrade was accomplished, what's left to upgrade and why it stopped.

I don't know the size of the disk you created to install Kubuntu, but probably (I'm guessing here) it wasn't enough and now the disk is full, so the upgrade process can't write changes. If that's the case, try to give a bigger size to the guest disk - for example Ubuntu uses 2.5 GB in the guest disk on install. To be able to upgrade it I must have free disk space in the guest. If the disk size is set to 4 or 5 GB, you'll have 1 or 2 GB of available space for the upgrade.

Again, because the previous paragraph was a guess, check the log files on the guest OS to know what happen.

Beans

Someone else said that It was broken and that I should just go back to 7.10. I will just wait for the final release. Thankyou for all of your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast